Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Day 14: My dream barn/farm

When my husband and I moved to NC, I thought in the back of my head that maybe we could buy a house with a few acres that was set up for horses. In a lot of ways, I really do want to do this. But in a lot of other ways, I also want the convenience and flexibility of boarding.

Would I enjoy looking out my window and seeing my horses munching hay in my yard? Absolutely! But would I want to spend most of my time (when I am not working, that is) doing barn chores and maybe not having enough daylight or even energy to ride? Or feel like taking a vacation or weekend trip was just not doable? Those are the parts I'm not sure about!

I would love to have some fenced acreage with a 3, maybe 4, stall barn and maybe 2 horses -- one for me and one for the husband. But, I have a feeling I might end up doing a partial board situation someday, rather than adding the stress of having them on my own property!


2 comments:

  1. After growing up on a farm, I always dreamed of that lifestyle for myself. But after 10 years of boarding now, I have come to appreciate someone else doing all the chores! Not to mention the fact that I can stay inside and enjoy a glass of wine while someone ELSE has to go out in 20* weather! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband and I were just talking about this last night -- I found a couple of horses I would totally go look at if we were in a position to buy one (or 2, LOL) right now and he made the comment that it would stink to have to go take care of them in our current cold snap. I said yup, it would...a HUGE a perk of paying for full board!

    ReplyDelete

Wordless Wednesday: Sunset jump lesson