1. Dizzy (the morgan mare I mentioned yesterday) jumping the 4 ft oxer.
We had been schooling a single fence set on the center line heading home. I remember Dede telling me to circle at the far end of the arena at a trot and not pay attention to what she was doing. When she had reset it to the 4 ft oxer, she told me to pick up my canter, and head for the fence. I did, my heart skipped a little beat when I saw how big the fence was, because the dang pony (ok, horse, since she was a morgan, lol) was so little. But hell if that pony didn't lock onto that fence and clear it by at least a foot!
2. Galloping the canter lanes in Galway, Ireland on an Irish Cob.
My husband and I honeymooned in Ireland and one of the things I just HAD to do was go horseback riding while I was there. I found this amazing place after a lot of searching and reading reviews and booked it. My husband is not a rider, he's only been on horses a few times in his life, usually in a western saddle at a walk. So, I informed them of the huge difference in our ability when I booked, and they offered to give us 2 guides, so we could split up at one point in the ride. When the day finally came, I was SO excited. The rest is documented here: Exploring the Irish Countryside on Horseback
![]() |
| My Irish Cob for the day, Midnight |
![]() |
| Loved this view! |
3. So many great rides on Promise -- including a clinic where she bronc'd after I mounted but I sat it perfectly, brought her back and walked off like nothing happened, when the clinician was super impressed. Or later that same day when we were schooling haunches in and got her to piaffe accidentally. Or when she jumped 4 feet with me from a trot. Our first Champion and Trophy at a horse show.
4. My last ride on Promise.
I will never forget the last time I sat on her. She was dead lame, but I knew I didn't have much time left with her, so I decided to get on her bareback one more time.
![]() |
| Not from that excursion |
![]() |
| Also not from that excursion |




No comments:
Post a Comment