I finally caught up with my barn owner on Sunday. I heard through the grape vine (another boarder) that she'd taken photos when she found Promise on Thursday morning, but I hadn't seen them yet.
She came over while I was massaging Miss P (who amazingly is not very sore at all, very little flinching) and showed them to me. My skin still crawls and I feel a little nauseous looking at them. I just can't believe it.
Promise is in heat. So, the general theory is, she was flirting with Lava, in the first stall, while she was turned out. He may have gotten fresh, or she simply had enough, and she kicked out. I would guess a double-barrel, but maybe not since it's only the one foot stuck...I feel like she would have gotten more height kicking with both. Anyway, she somehow got her right hind stuck between the top of the gate and the fencing. And proceeded to either flip herself struggling, or lose her balance. Remember, this is the same leg she's having stifle issues with. She hit her eye on the way down, tearing part of the eyelid.
She ended up somewhere between being upside down, and on her side. Her right front was under the gate by her head, and her left front was in between the next panel up.
Clearly, she didn't struggle long, or the cuts on her leg would have been much more serious than they are. Also pretty clear is that she wasn't in this position for very long, or it's likely she'd be dead, instead of banged up.
The flowers arrived today, and apparently I made her cry. That wasn't my intention, of course, lol, but at least I know they were unexpected, and definitely appreciated. :)


oh my gosh this IS horrifying!
ReplyDeletePoor girl, I desperately wish she'll heal up alright. It is such a horrible thing, especially considering what you are having to do to keep her sound.
ReplyDeleteThat is so scary! I worry about gaps between gates and fences all the time. So glad she was extricated quickly and her injuries seem to be healing.
ReplyDeleteOh my god, that is horrific. I am so glad she was found and freed quickly.
ReplyDeleteOh gosh, that's quite a pickle. That wood post is way too thick to give, and she's not going to be able to break the metal gate either. I've looked at those gaps between gates and posts at my place and worried that a hoof could get caught in them. Those pictures are proof. It definitely can happen.
ReplyDeleteNM - anything can happen. Barn owner says in the 20+ years they've had horses, they have never had a horse get cast like this.
ReplyDeleteThose pics are scary! Andrea at Eventing-A-Gogo posted about a horse in a similar situation to your mare that died a horrible death because of it. Thank god Promise was found before she was stuck for too long!!
ReplyDeleteLisa, yes, I consider myself very lucky she's still with us and didn't have to be euthanized when the vet arrived.
ReplyDeleteWe have no real idea how long she was like that, but she's shown no signs of long-term trauma, and since we're going on a week now, it's fair to assume she'll be fine...as long as her eye doesn't get infected!
Very scary stuff! Those pics just chill my bone.
ReplyDeleteHoly crap! That would have been terrifying to see in person. How did they get her hoof unstuck?
ReplyDeleteI've heard about horses who've died from getting cast like that.
Have you heard about the horse named Delilah, who got her hoof stuck in a panel fence and caused the hoof capsule to fall off completely?
http://www.horseshoes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12828
Photos of the horse and her hoof on her FB site:
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=44738573734
http://hoofrecovery.blogspot.com/2008/11/delilahs-story.html
You and she are very lucky!
~L