Friday, February 11, 2011

Sunflowers & Thanks

Unselfish and noble actions are the most radiant pages in the biography of souls. ~ David Thomas


This quote resonated with me this morning as I tried to find the words to thank my wonderful barn owner for truly going above and beyond the call of duty. I decided to send her flowers, because words just didn't seem to be enough. I chose the bouquet pictured below, and I included the quote, and a short message of gratitude on the card. She should receive them on Tuesday. I wish it was sooner, but with Valentine's day on Monday, the price was steadily increasing the sooner I wanted them there...and of course, Miss Promise racked up quite a bill yesterday, so I must be careful. :( Still...it was a gesture I couldn't let go of, so I went ahead and did it. 



I am also quite thankful that Promise has matured over the years with me, and is now secure enough that most anybody can do just about anything with her on the ground. There are a few exceptions of course, like the farrier calling me to see what the secret was to shoeing her. But, according to the barn owner, so far she is being quiet and cooperative for the eye drops, bandaging, and is eating her antibiotics at both breakfast and dinner without a fuss. Let's face it, if she was being a turd about all of this, I'd have to drive the hour and change every day probably before and after work to care for her. Obviously I don't have to say I'd be MORE than willing to do this to those who have been reading for a while, but I don't want to seem heartless to others, so...there you have it. But also obvious, is the convenience of my barn owner being so attentive and wonderful...that is one of many reasons why I keep her so far away from me.

I went to check on her last night, and despite knowing what she'd done, I found I was still pretty shocked to see what is shown in the images I posted below. I guess I didn't anticipate her eye being swollen shut. And I had been hoping that it had been the left leg that had been stuck. But, no such luck.

She was moving decently, had some trouble lifting the right hind to step up out of her stall, but that could be partially the bandage. She kept up with me perfectly well, and seemed genuinely happy to see me (she kind of gave me this really sad look and wanted a hug and some sympathy) and she seemed even happier to be moving around. I guess she'd been upset at not being let out with her friends after dinner.

I cold hosed her front legs for about 10 minutes - they were incredibly swollen and had a lot of heat in them. They were also pretty sensitive to the touch. Hopefully there's no actual damage there, just fluid from being upside down/on her side for a while. Her left hind was fine, and the right hind, though swollen, was wrapped. Since I wasn't aware of the bandage, I didn't want to mess with it until I spoke with the barn owner, and she was unavailable when I called to tell her I was there. (No biggie, I will catch up with her this weekend.)

We then walked around the driveway for 20 minutes or so. When her ears were no longer pricked, and she wasn't looking around as much, I knew she'd had enough, so I brought her back to the hose and cold-hosed her front legs for another 10 minutes before returning her to her stall and cleaning up her eye which was oozing a bit. I realized that I no longer have a sterile sponge at the barn...after our last bout with proud flesh, I had re-delegated it to be her bath sponge, and then it disappeared. So, I need to purchase a new one specifically for cleaning up her eye when I am there. 

Overall, I'd say she's no worse for the wear. She isn't having any trouble breathing, is showing no signs of colic, and seems relatively happy and comfortable. She is even dealing pretty well with not being able to see out of the right eye. The vet doesn't think she did any permanent damage to anything (legs included), so I'm going to hang onto that positive outlook and take it day by day. It was encouraging to see her bounce back in 12 hours or so, and to be making steady improvements already this morning.

3 comments:

  1. You are lovely to think of sending flowers. Poor Promise! At least she is in good spirits. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. :) It may be a bit over the top, but really, she didn't have to do what she did, and many barn owners I've boarded with before wouldn't have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice idea to send flowers.

    Glad the vet thinks no permanent damage has been done, and it's good that she's being such a cooperative patient. Sending good wishes and thoughts.

    ReplyDelete

Wordless Wednesday: Sunset jump lesson