Saturday, February 12, 2011

The healing process

Her front legs are still swollen, still pretty warm to the touch, and also a bit sensitive, although she was very good about me gently brushing the sand off of them. The left (her left, not the view in the photo) one is worse than the right, which seems to have come down quite a bit in the last 2 days. There are no serious abrasions on either front leg.
The right hind is no longer bandaged. Luckily, the wounds are all superficial.
This is how it looked as I was cold-hosing it.

The right eye before I cleaned it up. You can see she did a pretty good job tearing the eyelid at the left corner. The swelling has gone down a lot, and the eye has reopened...although there is a lot of discharge in both corners.

 
 
The two above are the right hind after 10 minutes of cold-hosing, and 20 minutes of walking, plus a decent layer of furazone applied to each abrasion. I think I see a slight difference in the swelling from the first photo to these two. Her hock isn't nearly as swollen as it was on Thursday, so the rest of the leg should follow suit in a few more days. She was walking pretty well on it, but barely lifted it so I could pick the hoof, and had trouble stretching out to pee when I brought her back in.

The inside of the left hock - she must have kicked herself while she was down.

A more front-oriented view of the right eye. Hopefully that little flap of skin will reattach or regrow and heal normally. It looks pretty gross right now! 
A somewhat washed-out photo, but a view of the eye after I cleaned the discharge. She pulled away but kind of feebly (almost like she knew it would feel better when I was done, but it hurt) when I tried to gently dab at the left corner with my sterile gauze pad.


3 comments:

  1. Geez! Your poor baby! Hope she feels better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww. This is just heartbreaking. You only see that many injuries on a human either after they've been in a car accident or after they've been assaulted, but leave it up to a horse and it will beat itself up. She does look like she's healing well, though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, she's looking just a little bit better every day. She finished her round of antibiotics last night, and should be through the eye ointment as well, by now (it was almost gone on Sunday). So, as long as she doesn't get anything in there to cause an infection, it should heal up just fine.

    I think the leg will also be fine. It seems to be mostly the abrasions and fluid from being upside down causing the swelling, and she's on stall rest so she's only really moving around when they or I take her out.

    ReplyDelete

Wordless Wednesday: Sunset jump lesson