Friday, February 20, 2009

This is going to take some getting used to

Years ago, I promised my best friend's mother I would grow my hair long enough to donate it to Locks of Love. I figured since I had a habit of cutting it once a year and taking 8 inches off at a time, that perhaps growing it long enough to take their 10 inch minimum off wasn't too much of a stretch. I started growing it officially almost 3 years ago. And when she passed away in July of 2007, due to complications with breast cancer, I really worked at keeping up with routine trims and maintenance so that it would grow as quickly as possible.



Here is the before picture...it is about 2 inches (maybe a bit less) from my waist, when straightened. But, clearly you can see it's pretty wavy naturally.




I decided around Christmas time that I was really getting sick of it being so long. I wanted to be able to wear it down to work and not have to wash it the night before and spend 40 minute straightening it. Not to mention the fact that it was starting to cause some headaches, and I literally had to wake up to flip it over my pillow if I rolled over at night. 


My appointment was last night...I cut 10.5 inches off. Below is the pony tail I will be sending to Locks of Love next week.

I like the new style. I gave my hairdresser creative license to play, but she wasn't very adventurous with it, lol. It feels really short (as you can imagine) and will take some getting used to. I haven't had hair this short since about 5th grade, it's always been shoulder blades or beyond. But, it grows really fast, and will be that length again before I know it. I plan to grow it and donate again at least one more time. (Excuse the bad quality photo and facial expression, lol. I was tired and cranky.)









2 comments:

  1. Yay!!! My mom died of breast cancer and I always had hair down to my waist. I made a donation of 27 inches 2 years ago and 12 last year. My hair grows super fast.

    Awesome. Everyone appreciates it. It is weird to have short hair after having long hair isn't it?? lol The first time I had my hair cut to my just below my shoulders. This past time I had it cut to just under my ears. BIG difference. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. and how insensitive of me :( I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your mother's friend. I know it's hard to type about that.

    ReplyDelete

Wordless Wednesday: Sunset jump lesson