Tuesday, February 10, 2009

I hate proud flesh

I got to my boyfriend's house around 11 on Saturday and went to work boiling some water. I'd fished my sponge out from under the sink the night before and packed it with a thermos to hold the water. I had this sinking feeling that if I went through all the trouble to do this, I wouldn't really need it at all.


When I got to the barn about 30 minutes later, I was surprised to see that the vet wrap I'd placed on her leg the Sunday before was still neatly intact. I was really proud of myself! I got the bucket of water ready with my surgical scrub and let it cool for a few minutes while I unwrapped the leg and checked it out. Still covered in wonder dust. It looked a lot better than it had the week before. The unsightly bump had gone down quite a bit, and the raised proud flesh was nearly flat against what was left of said bump. I scrubbed at it with the hot water and couldn't get it to bleed freely. I did get the outer proud stuff scrubbed off, and then dried the leg to apply more wonder dust. (Didn't I say if I went through all that trouble to boil the water, I wouldn't need it? Not that I'm complaining, mind you, but I really do hate dealing with proud flesh. The good news is, I think it improved quickly enough that I won't need to involve the vet.)


I wrapped it up again to keep it clean and took her out to the round pen to lunge her. (I was sick most of last week and since it was still chilly out, I decided against riding in lieu of getting well sooner.)


She was lazy on the lunge line (what is up with this?!) so I took her off and free lunged her. She was pretty good and so much more lively. She listened about 95% of the time - doing transitions, both up and down, walking when I asked, and changing direction - a lot. One of the girls had her camera and asked if she could take pictures, or if it would bother her. I said it shouldn't, go ahead. So...I should have some pictures to share soon - she said she'd get them to me. (And some day I will remember to bring my own camera up there, lol.)


I walked her out until she stopped huffing and then put her up for the day.

2 comments:

  1. When it heals a bit more, ask your vet about using meat tenderizer (Lowry's - the unseasoned kind! - works well) to help clear up the proud flesh. My vet recommended it when one of the mares had some proud flesh. The enzymes will help soften the proud flesh so that it will slough off more easily. The vet said there's a veterinary equivalent, but it's much more expensive, and is in essence the same thing, so it's what he uses. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting, I didn't know that trick. I wonder if that's along the same lines of using meat tenderizer on a sting (wasp, bee, etc).

    I always keep wonder dust in my med box, even though its really only good for certain things. It *is* great on proud flesh, as long as you can get it to bleed first, since it acts as a coagulant.

    ReplyDelete

Wordless Wednesday: Sunset jump lesson