Wednesday, February 25, 2009

More recent pictures

   

2007: Doing some carrot stretches for an article in a magazine redesign.

   
2007:
Warming up before hopping over a couple of fences, also for an article in the magazine redesign.


I just think this is a cool shot. Look at her go.


Free lunging with surcingle and side reins. It's harder than you think to try to take pictures while doing this, lol. She was just starting to track under herself and come round, but I loved the extended trot. You can see she doesn't work too badly with the side reins, even as loose as they were here. 
These were also part of my artist book.





One of the drawings in "Reflections" 




And last, but not least, a design poster I did last fall during the local elections. It was required that at least one element be spray painted on the printed piece (MIND) -- and then we had to hang them around town and take pictures.

2 comments:

  1. I love your photos of Promise. Do you have any hints? I've never done black and white with my horse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take a LOT of pictures. I can take anywhere from 100-200 pictures in a session. Sometimes quickly, sometimes a little more composed and thought out, sometimes somewhere in between. I expect to get *maybe* 5-10 *good* shots from a 200 photo session. Sometimes its more, but it's usually less.

    Play with zoom. If you're not comfortable with that or don't have much of a zoom on your camera, no worries, you can crop later.

    Play with focus. If you know how, change the aperture on your camera to increase or decrease the depth of field. This creates some interesting shots. Admittedly, I have not done this when taking photos of Promise, I've only practiced on still shots.

    Play with the other kind of focus - i.e. if you're not looking to take an actual portrait that you might put in a sale ad, pick something on the horse to focus your shots on. I love to shoot her eyes because they have changed so much in the time I have known her. They have gone from fearful and untrusting to calm and soft. I also love the fact that in many of my "artistic" shots of her, they are self-portraits -- you can see my reflection in her eyes. Very cool.

    I want to do a series focusing on her ears, and also one focusing on her muzzle. And, I want to play with depth of field more.

    ReplyDelete

Wordless Wednesday: Sunset jump lesson