It has to be the graphic designer in me that likes to name these posts in such a way that the title can be taken multiple ways. In my work, I strive to create things that can have multiple interpretations, depending on who you are, how you look at things, etc. It is great to be able to work this way - and riding is much the same. Everything is open to interpretation.
Ezra asked me if I could elaborate on how I ride with feel. I'm not positive I can, but I want to try. I might be a bit vague, so don't be afraid to ask me if I can explain better. I am hopefully going to ride this weekend, so I will try to freshen up my "feel" as much as I can.
I recommend "Natural Rider: A Right-Brained Approach to Riding" by Mary Wanless. This was my bible. I have heard her other books are fantastic, but have not read them...yet. It certainly wouldn't hurt me to pick this one up again.
Anyway. I hope this make sense...at least a little. Let me know if it doesn't! :)
It has been a long time since I have given a lesson, and when I did, it was mostly to beginners. But, even with them, I began teaching them the things that they needed to know later on -- such as feeling where a horse's feet are at all times.
It takes a long time to "get" the feel.
My lessons began with my trainer on the ground. She would ask me to search with my body for a hind foot and try to feel it as it moved. She started easy -- I was to try to feel it as it "pushed" off the ground, so for instance, if I was feeling for the right hind, I would focus on my right seat bone being lifted slightly into the air, and then as it settles in a rolling motion forward, and then back to where it started. At first, I needed her eyes, and her voice to tell me "It's leaving the ground...NOW..." - and then I would feel the other three steps and be able to say "Now." on my own.
I lost the feel a lot. She never lost her patience.
She had me feel for that right hind in both directions - the movement changes ever so slightly when the targeted foot is on the inside, versus the outside, of a bend. When I got that, she tried the same thing with the other hind leg.
Eventually, she asked me to feel it as it was in the air, approaching the ground for the next stride. If I remember correctly, this happens just as the opposite foot is pushing. Little tricks that make life easier. :)
If you squeeze with the corresponding leg when a hind leg is in the air, the horse should begin to move that leg under itself - thereby teaching the beginning stages of collection.
I remember several lunge line lessons, so that I could close my eyes and not have to worry about steering. This helps a lot, also.
As I caught on to this, she had me begin to feel it at the trot. Sitting at first, and when I had that down, it helped my posting immensely.
By being able to feel when each hind foot was going to push off the ground, I was able to pick up my diagonal correctly 100% of the time, without ever having to look. As the inside hind is pushing, ask for your trot and begin rising immediately. When the inside hind is forward, so is the outside front, and you are already rising on the correct diagonal.
Similar thinking works for canter departs - and this is great when you're having trouble getting the right leads. The outside hind is what starts the three-beats. So, when the outside hind is pushing, cue for canter. Because of the way a horse moves, it physically has no choice: the horse HAS to pick up the correct lead, because the outside hind is the one being controlled, and that is the one that begins the canter.
That brings me to the most important thing I learned: Control each foot.
The other thing she always had me working on was controlling each foot. At any given time, I was able to slow a foot, or speed it up...I could control which front foot stepped over a cavaletti as we walked - or trotted - up to it. (Not sure if I can still do this as accurately, lol.) And coming around the second time, I could assure that the other front foot lead over the cavaletti. Really cool stuff.
Walking up to the cavaletti, I want the right front to go over and stop. Then back only the right front up, to stand square. Then put the left front over first, etc.
This is closely tied to working on the ground. If you're backing your horse, you should be able to control each front foot, based on which way your lead line is angled. If you angle left, the left front should move (then the right hind, but only if you ask it to). If you angle right, the right front (then the left hind, if asked), etc. The same thing applies in the saddle, more or less.
Right rein controls the right side, left rein controls the left side. If I pull back on the right rein and shift my weight back, I expect the right front to move back, and then the others should follow in sequence. Hind legs are a bit more difficult. If I ask the right hind to move with my right leg, I can expect the left front to go next - so, when I wanted the left front to step over the cavaletti first, I made sure that I controlled the right hind, and slowed the left hind, and therefore, right front.
Essentially, the key is to control each foot as it is ABOUT to move, or as it is already in motion.
To summarize:
• A leg squeeze as a hind foot pushes and is therefore moving into the air to step forward, causes the horse to step under himself.
• A half halt as a front leg is pushing, coming into the air, and moving forward, slows it down - which is why you half halt when you sit.
• However, a halt half when you rise (or post on the wrong diagonal if it's easier), is more effective, because then you slow the inside front, and therefore, the outside hind, which controls your propulsion.
• A request for trot as the inside hind pushes, as long as you start posting right away, guarantees the correct diagonal.
• And a request for canter as the outside hind pushes, guarantees the correct lead.
You did a fine job explaining. The explanation of "if I was feeling for the right hind, I would focus on my right seat bone being lifted slightly into the air, and then as it settles in a rolling motion forward, and then back to where it started" is great. So in essence, I will get it a whole lot easier if I'm on a lunge line, able to be free to focus on just what I'm trying to feel while someone else is calling out to me first. I need to get my husband to agree to that. He might if he's already rode. He likes to ride together with me, and there really isn't anyone else handy to help.
ReplyDeleteI really don't post while jogging (that's the western part of me), but knowing those tips does help with the other parts. I will have to try this out when I ride next :) Thanks
I hope it starts to make more sense once you're on the horse. :) I think it usually does, lol.
ReplyDeleteHaving a lunge line definitely helps even if your eyes are open because you don't have to think about steering so can focus on everything else. And I definitely recommend having eyes on the ground -- although eye on horseback does work, if he can ride and help you, too).
I didn't even get to see my beastie this weekend. I'll do a little post on it.
I was talking to my husband last night about wanting to do the lunge line while I ride. He is very reluctant because he doesn't think my mare will go for it :( I told him there's no harm in trying, I don't know why he doesn't want to at least try. I will still try to talk him into it. I don't know if he thinks she will get freaked out and he wont' be able to handle her or something, which I don't think will happen. We'll see. I'll let you know if I can finagle it and how it goes :)
ReplyDeleteIf she lunges normally, but has never lunged with a rider, she might be confused or a bit nervous at first (my mare was) but she'll most likely figure it out pretty quickly.
ReplyDelete