My horse has gone ahead now,
To blaze a trail for us;
To find out every rocky place,
Or one where we can’t pass;
She'll seek the finest grassland,
And water fresh and pure;
To make sure when we travel on,
Our path beyond is clear;
She’s never let me down before,
I know now and I see;
She’ll blaze our trail to heaven,
And come back one day for me.
©Kate Howe 2004
Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
Robert Frost, 1923
Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.
My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.
He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.





Bittersweet. Hugs to you.
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry - I have been where you are - you should be proud that you made sure she didn't suffer.
ReplyDeleteThinking of you tonight :( I'm so sorry for your loss.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful post. I'll be thinking if you - I hope this has brought the peace you both deserve.
ReplyDeleteBeautiful tribute to a beautiful mare. We're thinking of you all.
ReplyDeleteSo sorry that you have to go through that. What a nice tribute to a beautiful mare.
ReplyDeleteYou sweet girl, I'm so very sorry that Promise had to go, but I know that she did.
ReplyDeleteShe Really was Beautiful and loved you too!
XXXXX
Kac
hang in, and I pray that you are well~