The vet is coming tomorrow afternoon. I had to schedule around summer camp, which isn't ideal, but the barn owner said if I scheduled for after 3 p.m., she would make sure no one was there. So, that's what I did.
But, leave it to Promise to be feeling good 2 days before the vet is scheduled. I went there last night to hang out for a while and wash her tail (in preparation for banding/braiding/cutting, so I can have something made)...and she was reasonably chipper and full of herself. She is still having quite a bit of difficulty with the basics, like kicking at flies. So, I'm not for a moment under any illusions that all is well. I am fully aware that she's been cycling like this for the entire duration I've been trying to get her sound. She'll be great for a while, and then really, really bad for a while. It's heartbreaking. So, it doesn't change anything, just makes it harder on me.
I tried not to over think, to just enjoy the fact that she was feeling good in that moment. (Despite the part of me that was thinking, Really? Can't you be two-legged lame?)
And, my normally affectionate-but-not-overly-cuddly mare was unusually cuddly last night. The last time she let me hug her and hang on, without getting grumpy, was when we lost Harley.
I'm sure many people would tell me I'm reading into it more than I should, but it sure felt like she was telling me it was ok.
It is interesting how they always seem to rally when you finally get up the courage to make the vet appointment. I'm glad she told you that its alright.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad she was having a good day - her last ones should be like that, she deserves it.
ReplyDeleteYou are a wonderful, loving, caring owner. Big hugs for the coming days.
I wanted to tell you sorry for not commenting on here until now. I have the hugest lump in my throat writing this but I hate hate hate this for you. Reading this makes me cry remember everything I've been through the past few months. You did the right thing and you are such a good Mom to her for making that hard decision. Of course she was telling you it was okay...she loved you so much!
ReplyDelete