Thursday, January 13, 2011

I need to practice!

The boots fit reasonably well. I think they might be a hair too big...or it could just be that I will need practice putting them on and getting them tight enough. Because they did slip down when she was running around like an idiot in the arena. I guess I didn't realize how much overlap there would be. But seeing them on her, I think a medium would be too small. Unfortunately, I am pretty sure they wouldn't take them back anyway, because they are covered in sand after just one wear. Nice, huh? lol

Oh well. I am going to have to get the hang of putting them on and see how it goes.

It was dusk and I was making myself dizzy and nauseous when she was on the lunge line...it's pretty psychadelic watching her go around with the shadows on her legs, and the darkness of her fur, and the shadows on the sand...I thought someone had slipped me some mushrooms or something. But, she looks fantastic. A little stiff starting out on the lunge, but even with the cold, better than the last time I was there. She bucked a little too! And, even though I didn't want her running around like a maniac when I let her loose, it was really nice to see that she is feeling well enough to gallop around, and flag her tail and snort and just be a general loony-toon. I'm glad she's feeling so full of herself.

I didn't take pictures because it was too dark by the time I got there. I didn't ride because, well...it was cold and I didn't want to...and, she was a NUT. It's probably for the best I didn't try to ride her.

But, to end on a positive note, next weekend, I'll be able to get back in the saddle. AND, I have already lost 2 lbs from starting my New Year's resolution! :)

ETA: She pulled a shoe...that was put on the week of Christmas. The foot looks perfect, no trauma from the nails or anything. She was completely sound on it. I talked to the barn owner...I started pondering...I talked to the farrier. We're gonna try her barefoot effective next month. So, instead of $65 every other month (because she gets done every 8 weeks with 2 shoes, because her feet don't grow overly fast), it will be $30 every month for barefoot. So, I will save $5 every other month...or $30 a year. Not much, but I am curious as to whether he can maintain her barefoot. Previously, she would tear up the front hooves so badly she couldn't do anything. So, I've been hesitant to try again. But...I'm trying to cut wherever I can, and save wherever I can. And, if he can do it, and she is ok with it, I think it will be worth it to all of us.

1 comment:

  1. Me again...going backwards to catch up some.
    Well, maybe that is one of the reasons she is gimpy...being barefoot(and I totally agree with it) makes the feet softer when they winter in mushy ground and sometimes they bruise themselves. My TB mare is barefoot, always has been. i must wear hoof boots when riding rocks and last year, I put some orthotic shoes on her...very exspensive but absorb shock they do and they flex and give with the hoof as it moves.

    I agree though...saving the $ is important, as you will need it to inject her sometimes, in the future. And if you are in the arena...shoes are pointless, truly!

    ReplyDelete

Wordless Wednesday: Sunset jump lesson