Friday, January 21, 2011

It's been a week...or two.

Warning: rant.


Last week, I had an appointment with an eye specialist. My regular eye doctor had been bugging me to go see him because my optic nerve appears blurry. I finally gave in. I waited for 2.5 hours to be told everything BUT the fact that he clearly thought I was fat and that was what was causing the problem (one of his first questions was my height and weight). He was a jerk.


Am I fat? Technically, yes. The number on the scale is higher than I thought it would ever be. I wear it well, and most people don't know. But it can't stay this way. I want to be comfortable in my own skin again. I want my clothes to be too big. I want to feel skinny and sexy again. I want to be healthier and stronger.


One of my resolutions was to lose 5 lbs per month for the next 8-10 months. I know I can surpass this pretty easily, but I wanted to keep it completely attainable so I wouldn't get discouraged. It is January 21, and in the last 18 days, I have lost 5 lbs. I am already ahead of schedule! I have been working out and doing cardio (the goal is 3 times a week, I've done two this week, plus tomorrow), and doing yoga 1 or 2 times a week (tonight). I have been eating better, and less, and keeping a food journal.


One of my other resolutions was to stop avoiding health issues because I was too lazy to make the appointment. Hence the specialist. And, the fact that I'm getting a second opinion in a couple of weeks (soonest appointment was February 8).


See, he told me I needed an MRI and a spinal tap, and probably a medication that would reduce the optic nerve swelling while I lose the weight. I scheduled the MRI, but when I filled out the paperwork, I saw that they won't bill for deductible/co-pay. I called to verify. They wanted $658 at the time of my appointment. Sorry, please cancel my appointment, I can't do that. The fantastic person on the other end hung up on me. BEYOND ignorant and rude. I won't be going there for anything. (I'm bitter, can you tell?)


Anyway. I'm going to hold off on the MRI until I see the second guy. I need to call and cancel my follow up with the first guy, which is two days later. I've been doing some reading (I'm sure he'll love that, not.) and I think it actually might be weight AND sinus related. I am pretty confident I don't have a brain tumor. But I DO have sinus problems, nearly year round, which can cause swelling, etc. So, we'll see what he says.




In other news. I got an email from the barn owner last night before I headed to the gym for my fitness evaluation. She said Promise was moving pretty slow and was gimpy. Insert any colorful word you can think of here. She asked if it might be time for another injection. I REALLY hope not. Because it has been exactly 2 months and 3 days.


I'm trying not to freak myself out. It could be the wacky weather we're having...cold, then warm, then rainy, then cold, then rainy, then warm, then cold. Ad nauseam. I think it's safe to say she has some arthritis in that joint, she also has arthritis in her hocks. I'm praying it's the weather.


I can't get there until tomorrow morning...and I actually CAN get there now, since I have no MRI appointment. So, I will go out and see how she looks, and if she works out of it at all.


If she doesn't, or looks really bad again...I don't know what to do. I am not financially able to pay $200 every 2 months for these injections. I really wish I could, but I just don't make enough money right now. Where do I draw the line on her quality of life? And my wallet?


Welcome back to square one.

7 comments:

  1. all pretty rough news. so sorry to hear it. thinking about you and sending any good vibes that i can!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though you have the worser end of the news reel this time to tell...you do it so well, tell it lightly with humor. I do love the way you write, and it makes me feel better-though you have told some discouraging things.
    Bless your heart for tackling the weight and for making your health apts(or trying to). I have yet to both of those since we have insurance again, finally.

    Promise..oh Promise! I knew it would not last...but how in wish retirement was an option...that did not cost!I don't lknow hjow some of these bloggers have the $ to retire 2 horses and buy another to ride!

    I'm also praying for you...I do not know what I would do, honestly.
    I have mine to the end...even if she is lame.
    KK

    ReplyDelete
  3. On the eye front, find yourself a GOOD ENT and talk to them. Or maybe an allergist too, to sort out the cause of the sinus issue. Fingers crossed there. Last Doc I saw that asked my height/ weight (and never LOOKED up at me, or put so much as a pinky finger on me,) almost got a Rasp Enema for his attitude. grrrr...

    Promise. *sigh*.. girl, you and she are going to have to "talk". You know the financial end of things, and are the one capable of doing research etc. She is the one who can tell you if enough is enough. Worst job of our lives is having to listen to that part though.

    Thinking of you on ALL fronts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. KK -- she has always been barefoot behind, except for when we were showing. So, unless she bruised herself, I'm not convinced its the feet. Plus, she won't be barefoot upfront for another couple of weeks.

    MM -- I am doing my second opinion with one of the most reputable institutes in Florida. Fingers crossed their rep is true. I would have LOVED to have given him a rasp enema. I left his office fuming.

    As for Promise, well, she's happy, and cheerful, and acting like her old self completely - unlike when she injured it originally, she was miserable then. That makes my end harder. If she were miserable now, it'd be easier. I can't make any kind of decision until I see her. My mom wants me to call the vet and ask what my options are. I pretty much know what they are, if she actually IS lame again...inject again, and most likely include the hocks, pasture permanently, or the big E.

    Maybe I do need to bring a communicator back into the equation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel for you. People shouldn't have to decided between health care and having enough left over in their pocketbook to eat their next meal -- whether it be your health care or you horse's. I remember going in to see the doctor a couple years back because I had some intense elbow pain and struggled to walk. He blamed it all on being overweight and said the only cure was to lose the weight. I was ticked. How could being overweight cause elbow pain? My arms aren't fat. It made no sense. But by the time I lost 30 pounds, my elbows and feet no longer hurt. Go figure. The whole optic nerve thing is odd, though. I hope everything works out for the best.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you ever tried chiropractic? I ask because I have issues with my optic nerve and chiro is how I keep it under control. I had a neck injury from a fall years ago. 6 months later I started getting bouts of vertigo and blurred vision. There was inflammation in my neck that was putting pressure on my optic nerve. As long as I keep my neck in line and the inflammation under control I am just fine. If I let it go, I get vertigo to the point that I cannot drive. With insurance I pay $20 for each visit, $60 without insurance. Just a thought.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Grace, yes, I have been going to a chiropractor since September. She did a crowdsavings deal I couldn't pass up, so it was the kick I needed to actually go see one. Back pain relief instantly! But no change to my optic nerve. :/

    ReplyDelete

Wordless Wednesday: Sunset jump lesson