I have been talking to a couple of barns the past few days. I found the one I'm going to. But I must admit, I am totally spoiled by the immaculate place she's in now. I don't need the indoor...I don't use it anyway. For how often I have been riding, I want to get on, and have fun, not deal with idiotic spooking in every-single-corner. And it's not like we get snow - it's rare that it rains enough to stop me from riding outside. There's a 60 foot round pen in both locations. Cool. Don't use it often, but occasionally, I want to lunge or free lunge in there. I tend to ride outside of the arenas at the current place, in the grass on a big circle. New barn, no grass (made up for by free choice hay in turnout, btw) -- arena is dirt/sand, and decent sized with a couple of jumps set up. They are expanding it. There are trails down the back side of the arena. They'll let me borrow a lesson horse so my boyfriend and I can go out on the trails together. The turnout is 8 to 10 hours a day, group. The stalls are 24x12...12x12 of that is under a roof, the other 12x12 of it is open, no roof, and adjacent to the paddock. The entire barn is open air. Free choice hay like I said, and grain twice a day. She can go out during the day, or at night. Full board -- the base is $200 less than what the current place is going up to. And, all of the things I pay extra for now (i.e. worming, sand clear) are included.
It is not as cheap as I'd like, but for the care I expect, I can't go below a certain price, anyway. Kind of sucks. But, the owner said no price changes for 2009 anyway, and she'll give 30-60 days notice if they need to change for 2010. Current place, I got 21 days notice of the rate change - and yet, I am required to give 30 days notice to leave. Not cool.
Basically, I just can't afford the increase and still comfortably have enough money to get from pay check to pay check...especially since my student loans kicked in last month. So, I am biting the bullet and going with a place that is better for my horse to be a horse (and perhaps lose some weight on her own by being outside all day?!) - I hope she will be happy in her new home. I know she likes where she's at, but I keep saying I need to get her more turnout, since she's not getting worked enough.
So, as much as I hate moving barns...I am moving for my horse, and for my finances. It's closer to my boyfriend's house, so the plan is to ride on the weekends (let's face it, I'm having a HARD HARD time getting there after work. I prefer to ride mid-morning or early afternoon - it's SO hard for me to ride in the evenings.) With any luck, he'll come with me and get more involved...if not, I'll go on my way to his house.
Hey send me an email to dq4abu@gmail.com and I will send you the invite link :)
ReplyDeletesorry I missed the date on the bumps.
Sucks to move barns!!
So sorry about having to move your mare after 4 years...I do like to settle into a routiine and know what it is..I have always asked those questions about my mare's life..when they feed and when they bring in and such...makes me feel with her when I am not.
ReplyDeleteI think your move sounds very nice actually...seemed to be alot of +++ to it. I hope the group turnout is large enough and I wish they did not feed them there..it may lead to a dominance eating thing that is bad for injuries. I am sure you will observe and make the right decision.
Trails and riding with your boyfriend sounds lovely too!
Be waiting to hear more...
KK
All of the horses seemed pretty laid back. And the owner said there is relatively little drama. Once they rearrange the hierarchy, it shouldn't be too big of a deal that food is involved. Promise has always been Alpha mare in group turnout, so I can't see her getting bossed around too much. She's not really a submissive type, lol. If she gets banged up a little, it's no big deal. All the horses there are barefoot, and she will have her hind shoes pulled before she moves. So...a few bumps and bruises (so long as they're minor) are no biggie. Not like she's not scarred as it is.
ReplyDeleteHe didn't seem nearly as excited about trail riding together as I did, lol...but we have gone riding before, and it would be really nice to be riding my own horse when we go out, rather than both of us paying to use horses. So, I think it's a win-win, and I would love to have him more involved. He's kind of intimidated by Promise because she's so big, but he'll say hi and watch while I groom and ride. He doesn't get it, but I love it when he's there.
The poor owner of this new barn - I am probably driving her crazy asking questions. :) I think I got the last 2 out this morning, though. So, now, I need to finish the contract (need shot dates, I'm blonde today I think) and make copies of it and her 08 coggins so I can send it out.
My Mom's barn used to be a boarding facility, but after looking at her financial last winter she found it was cheaper not to have the boarders so we are now a private facility. The other huge issue was immigration, we could not get the help that we needed in order to maintain the barn at a top level. While I did not have leave, I miss our boarders, the people you ride with our like your family. A few of them got really angry and petty about the situation, so it was also like going through a bad divorce.
ReplyDeleteEllie and Werther Blog