Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Cold-backed

I really had no idea of what this meant when my trainer suggested it. She explained it, I did a bit of research, it seemed to fit. 


This conversation came about because, Promise's behavior was steadily getting worse. To a point, anyway. She was really evolving on the ground - and her true sweet personality was definitely emerging more and more. She was becoming a social butterfly - although she was still very untrusting of men, I had managed to mostly circumvent that. My vet was a man, but for how often he was needed, she dealt with him well enough. My farrier was a woman. She was a strange woman, lol - but she was very, VERY good at her job, and I liked the way she handled my horse. She was as tough as she needed to be to not take any crap, but there was a softness to her manner that - considering her look and general relations with people - was incredibly surprising the first few times it was witnessed. I miss her - not that I don't like my farrier now.


Anyway. Promise had really started acting up when I was saddling her. And even more so when I mounted. I know now, that her saddle truly didn't fit. We did what we could to alleviate that problem. But honestly could not afford to be buying a new saddle every couple of months when she outgrew the last one. She grew until she was 6 and then started to fill out. 


I tried a variety of things, from changing up her routine every day so that she never quite knew what to expect as her next task - for example, one day I'd graze her for 30 minutes, then free lunge her, then graze her, then tack her up and get on her; the next day, I would brush, tack, lunge, ride, like normal, etc. Anything I could think of was not too crazy to try - some days I'd long-line her for 30 minutes, with the lines through the stirrups, before getting on. Whatever worked - but that didn't work for long. She started to catch on, and soon it didn't matter how the routine changed to try to throw her off, it only succeeded in throwing me off - literally. So, I went to making a more exact routine out of our rides - I brushed her, stretched her legs when I picked her feet, brushed her mane and tail after her feet were done, wrapped her legs before the saddle went on, etc. etc. etc. ad nauseam. I still pretty much use this routine today, although not *as* strictly as when I was trying to stop her from being a jackass seemingly hellbent on killing me. 


She developed bumps on her back from the saddle. The vet said that they were probably  collagen bumps, and a cortisone injection to each one might help - and might not. We gave it a shot (no pun intended, honest) - even though she was young, green (and often dumb as a brick) and this would mean she'd be on stall-rest/hand-walking for a month, and then turnout/hand-walking for another month or so. She was laid up for 2 months, no riding. Fun fun fun. But, the bumps began to slowly dissolve. They scarred, but even now, they have not reappeared. I guess the vet was right.


When I got back on again after the lay up - she was perfect. No girthiness, no crow-hopping when I asked her to walk off on the lunge line and she didn't move when I mounted. She did tense, but didn't try to buck. I'll take tense walking off rather than bucking, any day. That lasted a couple of months, I think, and then she started bucking again. 


Through the years, I've had more people tell me to sell Promise because, apparently, they thought I couldn't handle her behavior. Sure, a few of them were legitimately concerned about my safety, but most probably just thought I was stupid. Thing is, I believed in this horse, and I knew, even then, even though I didn't quite know what else it could be - that it went a little deeper than her being bad. She was fine once I was on...in fact, most of the time, she was amazing once I was on. And she wanted to work, she wanted to please me. Sure we fought, she had temper tantrums, but she was very honest. It wasn't just bad behavior. I admit, I was extended a little beyond my means, but I learned to deal with my horse in the best ways I could think of (by this point, my trainer was 2 hours away and I got 1 lesson a month, if that) - and I learned about her, and myself in the process. Most importantly, I learned to listen to my horse. 


I grew tired of having to lunge my horse before every ride. It gets old, real quick. So, I started working on weaning her off of it. A normal day with 15-20 minutes of lunging, followed by a day when I simply led her to the arena on the line, walked her around once so tighten her girth, and then removed the line and mounted. Eventually, I started giving her a mint as a reward for standing still. This really worked great - although eventually led to her turning her head to my foot every time we stopped. So, I have since evolved it so that she gets a mint before I get on the block - she's still chewing when I mount, and she no longer turns her head to my shoe seeking treats. 


I learned the hard way to listen to her when I had that gut feeling that today was not a day to skip lunging. It only took three times of me telling myself, she'll be fine, she was fine yesterday - and landing on the ground as a result - to realize I knew her better than I thought. Simply the way she walked out of the barn toward the arena was enough for me to know - today, I need to lunge. What she did yesterday doesn't matter.

6 comments:

  1. Hello there...
    I really am likeing reading your words...but...and I agree and want to read more but...man..Please make the type NORMAL size...I don't even have glasses and have wonderfully great eyeballs.It is too hard to red those weeny words!

    Okay..hope that was not too forward!

    I have a mare that had issues with men for awhile as well, being abused by the first 3 she came into contact wth. They did not like her, out of the horses they worked around....can you imagine the egos of these men to actually pick a horse -to not like. It is such a privielege to have a horse..I would like them no matter what! I thnk she was smarter than they and was onto them!

    I am soo glad that you figured that saddle thing out! Horses DON'T lie!Pain is very real for them since "Food,safety ,comfort" are the 3 things they care about -period. Did you get another saddle?
    I actually have these non-ice packs that can be frozen or microwaved from "Ice Horse" line in Dover Catalog...I have an old icecreem plastic buket I put in the micro..then plop the ice thingies in the water while grooming..I do the saddle area first..put the saddle pad on and plop the warm pads on her back to warm it up...she really has liked it!
    And more than that..I got a "Balance Traning System" again in Dover Catalog for a fee... it developed her back muscles to support me better and she has had far less nastinesses!
    Good to meet you come by and say Hi!!
    KK

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry :) I am a graphic designer, I was going for pretty. But, you're right...and I want people to read this, so...I guess functional is more important ;)

    Thanks for the feedback. I have not had a chance to read your blog yet, but have been there and it's on my list of things to do! Keep commenting, it keeps me motivated to post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hay thanks for comin on by and being a "Follow/leade/share" person!
    The type is better today...it does look very nice too!
    KK

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi new reader here! I just zipped thru your posts and I am so sorry for your lose, I know exactly how you feel!
    But what did pop out to me is the bumps you described on the back along with the colb back theroy. I cant believe that Kacy (allthehorsestuff) missed this!! If you get a chance do a google search on the ThinLine pads- I had the bumps as well and did not want to inject so tried thin line and the bumps went away in a few weeks. They are amazing and I dont understand the tech part of them but they WORK. I could not even begin to sit the trot on Abu until I had one and everyone that borrows mine buys one as their horse feels so much better. they cost a bit of coin, but soooo worth it. Shoot me an email if you would like an invite to my blog.
    dq4abu@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. 20meter -- this was about 8 years ago. The bumps never came back.

    Welcome :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, and I can't access your blog. I'd love to read it if you want to give me permission :)

    ReplyDelete

Wordless Wednesday: Sunset jump lesson