Monday, July 31, 2017

James, Part II

When I got to the barn on Friday, K told me she wanted me to ride James again and hop him over some fences. She had told me Thursday that he was pretty green over fences, and the other instructor had had some issues with him jumping in a lesson because he likes to stop and look at the fences first -- not a dirty stop, but still a stop! But, apparently once he looks at them, he's fine and she had no issues with him schooling over fences after showing him them to him. So, I guess she wanted to see how he did with it with someone else on him. 

We warmed up for a bit and then she had me walk him up to each of the fences in the arena and sniff them. He didn't offer to walk over them, so we turned and went around before picking up a trot and heading for the first one, a single on the long side. He wiggled a little, but I kept my leg firm and threw my hands forward a few strides out. He hopped over, cantered a few steps and seemed pretty proud of himself.

We trotted around to the single again and cantered afterwards, through the corner, then came back to the trot to do a line set about 6 strides apart. He trotted in nicely and cantered off to the second fence in 6. Then we let him walk for a moment to catch his breath.

The next round, she had me canter the single, then trot into the line and canter out. He really started to lock onto the fences as we approached and I did my best to stay out of his way while also trying not to let him get too strong or fast. It did involve some hard half halting to get a little extra whoa and then getting out of his way and letting him figure it out 3 or 4 strides out. He definitely wanted to speed up, but it was hard to tell if it was excitement or lack of balance/fitness. Could be a little of both! 

He was a good boy, though, and on our last try to the left, he really whoa'd when I asked him as he landed to add a stride for a 7, after taking the long spot kind of awkwardly the time before.

Overall, it was a great lesson. I liked him a lot better on this 2nd ride. K offered me a crop and I took it, even though we didn't know what, if anything, he'd do. I didn't even need to use it, just carrying it was enough to get him a little more responsive to my leg. I was pretty proud of myself for not only finding the distances pretty consistently, but I think helping him to see them, too. And, also, for not getting left behind or too far ahead of a green horse who is known to stop and look at things! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wordless Wednesday: Sunset jump lesson