I got to the barn last night and got Rocky ready for our lesson. He's a big bay gelding with a really sweet personality. I'm not sure what breed he is, but he is built sort of like a thoroughbred, so I would guess a cross of some kind.
I enjoy riding Rocky, who from what I've heard is a former jumper. I think he is about 22, and I guess didn't quite have the ability of his sire, so when he started to get older, his owner brought him into the lesson program. I like him because he is very soft and light in the hand and after warming up, it takes very little riding leg to hand to get him tocome into a really nice frame and carry himself. He's pretty comfortable, although a little bouncy at the sitting trot, and he is a little spooky on whatever side of the arena K is standing or sitting at...they have no idea why, lol. Could be eyesight changes, could be an act. Who knows. It's not a bad spook by any means, more of a bend to get a better look and try to move away. I try to really put him to work on that side of the arena and after a few times around, he mostly gives it a rest. K always raves about how great he looks when I ride him, which is great for my confidence.
Last night, she informed me they had given him a Depo shot, so he should be less spooky. He definitely was more willing to walk by her without me having to work quite so hard to get him to bend to the inside instead of toward her. But, then we started to trot and he felt off. I commented to her as we trotted by her and so she took a closer look and agreed. I let him walk, and she tried stretching his right hind a bit. His stifle gave a huge release that I felt from the saddle and he walked off much looser, but still felt and looked off when we started trotting again. So, I hopped off and we agreed to touch base about a make-up lesson. I took him in and cold-hosed his leg for about 15 minutes and then rubbed some Bigeloil from stifle to fetlock. He trotted off sound after that, so he was either faking it to get out of work, or that liniment gel is amazing!
I tried to take some pictures of him while I was tending to his leg, but he wasn't having it. I'd move and he'd prick his ears and look at me, and then when I got the camera focused, he'd put them back and look like a donkey. Oh well.
Make-up lesson is Friday evening. I agreed to a private lesson with K. Plus, my regularly scheduled programming on Thursday. I am hoping that me sticking to my workout program lately means I will be a little less sore/tired when I get in the saddle for the 2nd time in a week! But, also a private lesson will be a little bit shorter (and likely not any easier, lol). I've been feeling much stronger during my lessons, in general, and definitely less winded after our warm-up, so that is huge. It takes so long to get riding fitness back and no time at all to lose it!
No comments:
Post a Comment