Last night's lesson was a flat warm-up followed by a walking trail ride. I rode a new horse named James, who is a big grey gelding with a pretty easy-going personality. He is also deceptively wide. I was tacking him up going, hmm, you're in a wide tree saddle? Weird. And then I got on him and went oh, ok, now I get it. My hips were killing me by the end of the ride, because Willie and Rocky, the two I have been mostly alternating between, are much, much narrower.
I liked him, although he was less forward than I had envisioned him being. I watched the girl riding him last week for a little bit and she seemed like she was struggling with pace (on the fast side). Who knows. I feel like everyone gets a different ride out of every horse, so I probably shouldn't have let her ride give me preconceptions about the ride I would have on him!
I have my private, make-up lesson tonight, which will be interesting. Other than my evaluation ride, which isn't really a lesson, I have not had a private session at this barn. I'm excited about it, and interested to see who she has me ride!
No comments:
Post a Comment