Friday, August 18, 2017

Winslow x3

I made the "mistake" of feeling relieved the first time I rode James, because K had commented that she wanted to put me on Winslow, but he had just had his hocks injected, so he needed another day or so off. (I do love that they take such great care of their school horses!)

I was relieved because I rode Winslow in my 1st real lesson at this barn, and by the time I dismounted, I hated him. I thought he was a jerk on the ground, pushy, always in my space, and I found him to be a big jerk under saddle, too. I spent most of that ride on him fighting to keep him from dragging me forward when he grabbed the bit and threw his head down to hang on my hands. It was like he knew my core was not strong enough to do anything about it and he was determined to not only test the crap out of me, but to fling me around in the tack as much as possible! I dismounted that night and my back was sore, and I was grumpy.

Well, I'm not saying he is my favorite now, because he's not. That's a toss-up between Willie and Rocky. But, I do have a new appreciation for him after riding him for the last 3 weeks. And I feel like maybe we've come to an understanding.

I'm not sure if K is putting me on him because I had said (when she put me on James) that Winslow and I didn't hit it off, or just because Willie is still laid up and one of the girls in my group had asked if she could ride Rocky more often. Could be a little of both!

The 1st of these 3 lessons was a jumping lesson. I feel like I spent most of it fighting with him. Admittedly, after that first ride on him, my view of him was definitely prejudiced and I just did not trust him. K got after me for not letting him have his head to the fences, but I remembered him dragging me down after them and I didn't want to give him the opportunity to take the bit! Still, while it wasn't great, it went better than that very first time and I am definitely stronger now.

The 2nd of the 3, was a flat lesson to give all of the ponies a break. This was definitely more successful and I was able to get him to push from behind and come into a frame and hold it pretty consistently after a nice warm-up. 

Last night was 3 of 3, and it was another jumping lesson. After warming up on the flat, we hopped over a cross-rail a couple of times each. Heading toward it the first time, he got excited and strong, so I dropped my whip. We circled at the last minute to gather ourselves, and then hopped over it. It was just ok. After the 2nd time, cantering in, K told us our course.

K tells me he could get silly but to just sit up and half halt hard and then let go of him. Ok, got it. I was 3rd to go, so I watched the other 2 and took mental notes.

As I collected my reins, I made a conscious decision that I was going to trust Winslow to do his job and not be a jerk, and if he got fast, I would half halt hard, like I really meant it, and then let go of his face and just stay with him. 

I asked for the walk-canter transition and it was prompt and polite. 

We went around the short end and turned toward our first diagonal away from home, and I stayed away from his mouth, closed my thighs in my 2-point, kept my upper body back and pushed my right heel into his ribs to keep him straight. 

I counted my strides, found my distance and we landed, looking for the next one. 

Same thing. He thought about changing his lead but didn't respond when I asked, so we did a simple change in the corner and then headed down the long side to the single cross-rail. I counted my strides the whole way around. We kept our pace and found our distance. Landed on the correct lead and continued around the short end to the next diagonal.

Half halt in the corner, supporting with my left leg to keep him from bulging. K is thrilled with our corner, and our line is even better. She tells everyone she wants every corner to look like that!

We land and he gives me the lead change in the corner, and is proud of himself. I half halt so he doesn't celebrate, and ride deep into the corner for the final line, a straight 6 heading toward the barn. If he's going to get silly, it's going to be here.

He takes the first one perfectly, locks onto the 2nd one and takes it in stride. We landed on the correct lead, went around the corner and then came back to the walk before hopping back in line to stay out of the way.

Definitely my best course/lesson on Winslow to date!

Next week is a "bye week" between the Summer and Fall sessions, so no lesson for me. But I am back at it the following week with my new, semi-permanent slot of Tuesdays at 7 pm.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wordless Wednesday: Sunset jump lesson