Sunday, April 3, 2011

Serendipity

Yesterday, my mom and I stopped by to visit Promise on our way to a birthday party. She seemed pretty happy to see us. I gave her a once over but didn't take any photos yesterday, and only took some video today. Her leg really hasn't made much progress in the last week. It's not worse, but really the only noticeable changes are that there is less "stuff" coming out when I push on that low cut, and the stockiness doesn't seem to be nearly as bad as it has been. She's definitely walking out of it faster. 


This afternoon, I drove up again, hoping against hope that I'd be able to get on her again. But, I was scared to be too optimistic, because we're going on two years now where a positive change soon led to another injury! So, I wore shorts and sneakers...and figured I'd curry some more winter fur off of her, do a little massage, and then see how she looked. 


After nearly wearing my arm down to a stub currying and then massaging, I decided to put her hind boots/front polos and bridle on, and then carry my helmet, saddle pad and surcingle to the arena with us. That way, if she still looked good enough on the lunge line to hop on, the stuff would be there, and we'd save a few steps! 


I think she looks better than last week - at the trot, too. She even offered to canter, but I wouldn't let her. I was so excited to throw her "bareback pad" on!


Then we went to the mounting block, and I leaned over for a couple seconds, then stepped on and fed her a mint. She was much more relaxed about the whole thing this time. I guess practice makes perfect. Even though she's not very comfortable bareback (the saddle pad definitely helps some), I am actually really  enjoying the simplicity of it. Plus, I wouldn't be surprised if she actually would prefer me climbing into the saddle from this taller mounting block, also. I usually use the two-step plastic block when I have stirrups, but it still must twist the saddle a little bit. 


Anyway, she walked off perfectly and was raring to go. The barn's instructor was teaching and commented that she looked really good. 


So, we walked for a while, and pranced a little, and then walked some more. In the midst of the prancing, I figured what the hell, let's see if she feels sound - if she doesn't, I'll just bring her back to the walk. I asked for a little more forward and let her trot. She felt REALLY good - and my eyes on the ground said she looked sound. Of course, she's sounder all around when not on a circle. But, still - YAY! :)


She told me I should go tack up, but I just laughed and said I only own half-chaps and those won't work with shorts. She offered her full chaps, but I declined. Like I said, I am enjoying the simplicity! Plus, there is the added benefit of her not sweating as much with less gear to cart around, I imagine she must be less sore after this little bit of riding, because I definitely HAVE to sit straight, or risk hurting myself on her spine, lol...and I won't be tempted to stay on her too long! And, it's good for me!


We didn't do much trotting, maybe twice around in each direction. I ended up posting a little bit to the left, because she felt a little sticky on that right hind when it was on the outside. It seems she just needed more impulsion for that stickiness to go away completely.


All in all, it was quite the serendipitous day. :) 

1 comment:

  1. Of course you had shorts on!
    Awesome, really sounded nice.

    Mine is a slow healer too..for as much energy as she has, she heals slow. Promise, what a good girl!
    I got on bareback, the other day....icky feeling! If she was bit going up a hill home, she may have bucked me off...icky feeling my two seat bones on either side of her spine. As you said, not nice for them or us! I'll stick to my one of my bareback pads!

    But, I know what you mean on the simplicity of it...even my pads seem simpler, than a true saddle!
    I use the 3 step now, no tork at all!

    Be well, little Promise mare! Your momma wants to spend more time with ya!

    ReplyDelete

Wordless Wednesday: Sunset jump lesson