No, she's not 100% sound overall.
BUT, don't stop being happy for me yet because she WAS sound enough at the walk for me to decide that damnit, I was not wasting this chance because who knows if it will last...and I was hopping on her.
So, since I was dressed in shorts and a tank top, I figured it was probably more comfortable to go bareback...I briefly considered whether it would be safer, and then shrugged to myself and said, "Self, if she is feeling well enough to do something stupid, you can hang on for dear life, or bail...but ultimately, you'll probably be SO thrilled that she feels that good that you won't even be able to be mad at her. So...just go for it. After all, you still bounce...a little."
She was very good, despite being a little wary of what was going on (I think I have ridden her bareback *maybe* 5 times, counting this one...because she's not very comfy, and for a long time, I couldn't trust her without an "oh s@!%" strap). I brought her to the big 4-step mounting block, leaned over her, scratched her, and then put my leg over her and gently sat down. Offered her a mint so she'd look back and realize that despite the lack of saddle, she's done this before...and then we stood there for a couple of minutes while I scratched her and made a big fuss over her and chit-chatted with someone who had hopped off to adjust their saddle. We walked off with no tension, and did a few laps around the arena in each direction before calling it a day.
I can't remember the last time 10 minutes made me feel so amazing. I feel like a kid with a new toy - I just can't stop smiling. I honestly don't care if I can't ever do anything other than walk on her again...I just want to be able to enjoy this aspect of partnership with my girl for a little while longer. And, I would love for her to be sound and fit enough to be able to do some short trail rides, too. So, I am feeling very hopeful that this supplement will continue to work its magic.
But, one step at a time.
Watching the videos back again, I don't think I jumped too soon at this chance, lol. I watched them forward and backward, and she looks really pretty darn good at the walk. I didn't see toe dragging, I saw a stride that is even on both sides, and is nearly perfectly stepping into the print of the front foot. More importantly, it didn't seem that she was in a big rush to get off the right hind. The trot is still showing a decent amount of lameness...some of which could be exacerbated by being on a circle...but I think compared to even a week or two ago, there is a pretty big difference. Take a look:
Either way, she looked sound enough to me to take a short little spin! She felt great while I was on her and she seemed to be having a great time just cruising around with me
No comments:
Post a Comment