Sunday, March 6, 2011

The Healing Process - End of Week 3


Promise's attitude has improved dramatically in the last week. She's still a little down, but not quite as down as she was a week ago. She's been going out every night with no incidents. Here are some updated photos of her healing...and a video at the end. She is still really lame, although she does seem to be *less* lame than a week ago, even at the trot. So, good news. :)

Before I started scrubbing. Looks a bit better, but had some heat in it again today. My guess would be because of that cut below the fetlock, which, if you look at my last post, was not nearly that open a week ago.

Back of her right heel. Looks much better.
Swelling on the left front appears the same, although the heat has been off and on for the last week.  
A front view of the left front swelling.
After the first round of scrubbing with surgical scrub, I could see some proud flesh in there.  It was obviously quite sore, so I didn't want to scrub hard enough to make it bleed...the barn owner went to the house to get me some hot water to make my job easier. 
We were sort of wondering if maybe she had an abscess or other infection in the leg that blew through this area. And, based on the reappearance of the heat in the leg today, I am seriously considering calling the vet in the morning for another round of antibiotics. It certainly can't hurt.
After scrubbing with hot water, it didn't bleed freely, but I did get some out of it. Good enough. She was very good about the whole thing, and only got yelled at when she started to angle the hoof out, rather than up and down, when she lifted it to get away from the discomfort. I rinsed it and dried it with a towel and then applied some Wonder Dust to it.
The front of her leg also had some proud flesh hiding again. This one did bleed freely with just a little bit of hot water touching it. Rinse, dry and Wonder Dust.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Wordless Wednesday: Sunset jump lesson