Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Hunting for a new barn (part 2)

In part 1, I listed the pros and cons of the first 2 farms I visited. This past Saturday, I visited a 3rd barn, after some scheduling difficulties because the owner/trainer had some family things come up. 

Barn #3: Visited 1/26/2019
Pros:
  1. I watched a lesson and a half, and really like her teaching style. She really thoroughly explains why she makes changes to your position, etc
  2. Owner/trainer (H) is very responsive via email and encourages email follow-up for scheduling, which I genuinely love
  3. She trains with a 4* eventer and believes in keeping her own skills up 
  4. Horses were fat and happy
  5. Scheduling is fairly open for evenings or weekends
  6. Main arena was well-drained when I visited. There is a large stadium field, as well
Cons:
  1. Did not get to chat with her much since she was busy teaching
  2. Barn is 30-40 minutes away from new house
  3. No covered arena, so probably no lessons in inclement weather
  4. Barn itself is run down and really small. There isn't a lot of space for multiple horses in the "aisle" (property and arena were well-maintained)

I have an evaluation ride scheduled with Barn #2 for Sunday, and I am really looking forward to it. I think it is going to be a great fit both distance-wise and lesson-wise. I also feel like I haven't been on a horse in forever, so I'm just hoping my body cooperates!

I am going to keep Barn #3 as a backup option, on the off chance T and I just don't mesh (shouldn't be an issue, though). I don't mind a 30-40 minute drive (it's what I had been driving for the last 2 years), but with an option so much closer and with fewer cons on the list, I am definitely going to pursue that one!

Interestingly enough, at Barn #3, H was doing an evaluation ride and the woman riding mentioned she's been schooling a young Anglo-Arab stallion for an older man and she just isn't feeling all that confident in her riding, etc. So, I chatted with her for a few minutes after her ride and sure enough, she was referring to Barn #1's owner! She confirmed all of my reservations were things, so I guess I am glad he never called me back!

1 comment:

Wordless Wednesday: Sunset jump lesson