For nearly the entire 2 years I've lived in Raleigh, I've been riding at the same barn. While there are certainly things I don't love about their lesson program (it can be a bit nose to tail, for example), but their horses are well cared for, are generally are well-behaved, the facility is beautiful, etc.
Last week, I emailed them about switching lesson days from Friday evenings to Sunday afternoons or Wednesday evenings. This meant switching instructors, as well. But, I was open on the slot, as long as I wasn't expected to be in the tack at 6 pm on a Friday after the next 2 lessons. Initially, I got a response saying let me check with the other instructor and see what she has available and what she thinks is a good fit. Okie dokie, no problem.
This afternoon, I get another response from the barn manager, that said: "After reviewing our lesson policies we regretfully will now closely follow a 200 lb. weight limit for riders using our school horses in lessons."
Uhm...what now?
I'm furious. I'm hurt. I'm shocked. I'm embarrassed. I'm offended. I'm...I don't even know. I'm not sure how they think they can get away with this. It's a perfect example of discrimination. But apparently, they think it's ok.
My weight has been a struggle for the last several years. It's certainly not for lack of trying to lose it. I do consider myself to be "fit fat" and do not by any means believe that I am hurting any of their horses by riding them for 1 hour a week. I am a capable rider, I genuinely care for the horses as if they were my own. There are plenty of "regular-sized" horses in the world that are capable of carrying me around happily and without an issue. In fact, their horses have been doing that for 2 years now. But...whatever. I don't need them. I obviously don't want to ride there with that type of discriminatory attitude, anyway.
So, I'm going to brush my pride off and find the next thing that's out there for me...it's got to be better than that negativity.

There is a better thing, lesson, barn, horse that awaits you. Good luck in the search
ReplyDeleteThank you, Laur, you are so right. I know this in my head and have already started researching and reaching out to my contacts...but my feelings are hurt by the whole situation :(
ReplyDeleteI've known several barns that have such policies, but they sound like jerks. You can definitely find ones that don't have such policies and ones that aren't so weird as to suddenly decide that it's a problem after years of it not being one.
ReplyDeleteI'm so sorry you are going through this right now but hopefully it provides you with an opportunity to find a better barn!
ReplyDelete