Tuesday, August 13, 2013

The saddle question (this might be a slight rant)

For my first lesson with S, back in April/May, I did not bring my saddle with me. I assumed that she would provide one, because that had always been my experience before: ride a "school" horse, use a "school" (or the owner's, etc) saddle. 

She immediately asked me if I had a saddle. I said yes, but had not brought it. So, she provided something. 

The next time I set up a lesson, I asked if I should bring my saddle. She said yes, "so I would be more comfortable." So, I brought it with me for my second lesson. S was very negative about the saddle - and I don't know how much of it is because her husband is a rep for one of the bigger brands, and she had never heard of my brand of saddle. I have never had any of the issues she mentioned I would have, ie, the saddle being slippery and having no support for my leg. As a matter of fact, I feel very secure in it and always have...and it has knee rolls and thigh blocks...but has no leg support? Ok.


This is not *my* saddle, but this is what I have.

Anyway, I shrugged it off, because I know how horse people can be and I've had some instructors that have been exceedingly difficult about stuff (I had one not speak to me for 3 days at a weekend show because I tried to compromise on stirrup length - I punched a hole in between "too long" and "too short" and rode in that. Oy.). But, I digress. 

Basically, you just learn when to fight and when to let it go. :) 

I thought the saddle fit the horse reasonably well, but was a little too wide for him. I had brought my wither pad, and that, to me, fixed the issue pretty well.

Rinse and repeat for the lesson a few weeks ago. I brought my saddle and wither pad, and rode for my 30 minutes. When I got there the next time, she told me my saddle didn't fit the horse and it made him really sore. She said one of her boarders had purchased a new saddle and wanted people riding in it to break it in, so I could use that. Ok, cool. Doesn't matter to me whether I ride in my saddle or not. I think it's just as good to ride in different tack as it is to ride different horses. 

So, I put my saddle back in my car and rode in the one that was handed off to me. I thought it was too tight in the withers, but it's not my horse or my saddle...so I kept the thought to myself!

Again, I rode for my 30 minutes. I honestly don't think the differences in my ride were tack-related - maybe they were, maybe they weren't - but I think they were strength-related. I can feel that my muscles are stronger from working out and from riding...and my brain is getting better at communicating with them. Brain and muscles know what to do on a horse - but were not speaking the same language before! 

When I was there this past Saturday, her first comment was that I needed to get a new saddle. (Uhm, wait, what? Why?) And she told me again that it doesn't fit the horse and it made him really sore. She actually told me he needed to be adjusted after the last time I rode him in it. (Ok - back the horse up. Yes, I know fully well how sore a horse can get with a badly fitting saddle - but not generally after ONE 30 minute lesson.) I told her a new saddle was not in my budget and I didn't want to buy one when I did not have a horse. She said, well, what if you sold your current saddle? Could you do it then? Maybe, but again, why? 

I told her I would think about it. And I have, seriously. I tried to put aside the way I felt about it and seriously considered it. The saddle I have used the last 2 times has been really nice. I don't dislike it at all. I also don't feel any undying need to trade mine in right now. 

To me, school horse = school/owner tack. That is how it has always been, in every barn I have ever taken lessons in. I have done a fair bit of asking around to determine whether that policy has changed. Apparently, it has not. If I were leasing a horse, it would be different. But, hell - when I leased horses before I bought Promise, I didn't have a saddle - I used a "school" saddle! If I were buying a horse, it would be different. But if you're loaning me a horse for a 30 minute lesson every other Saturday, I feel you should loan me the damn saddle to ride in, too.

If and when I purchase another horse, I am almost guaranteed to need a new saddle. I just can't figure out why I "need" to buy one now when I am in between horses.

So, I have decided I am not making a big purchase/trade like that right now. But, if it is going to continue to be an issue with S, then I am afraid I won't be able to continue riding with her. It makes me really uncomfortable to be pressured to make such a big purchase, especially when I know full well she wants me to buy the brand her husband sells, and we talked about my goals before I even got on the horse for my first lesson.

10 comments:

  1. I would be very hesitant to splurge on a new saddle if I wasn't fitting it to a specific horse. Sounds like you're in the same boat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, SB. I'm glad I'm not crazy to be thinking this way - and given your love for tack of all kinds, the fact that you wouldn't go buy a new saddle in this situation is very telling! :)

    I'm going to stick to my guns, and if it's going to be a problem, I know of several places much closer to my house (S is an hour each way) where I can take lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree with you, trainer is being unreasonable. I don't think your saddle alone twice a month would be causing that horse to be sore.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is really weird that the trainer would pressure you like that... I totally agree that the situation is a bit unreasonable.

    I wouldn't buy a new saddle in this case either!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm Irked Off A Bit...I'm Mean, Ask A Horse To Use An Different Saddle Every Time They Are Ridden(PoorHorse) And Then Blame It All On You And Your Saddle! SHAME ON THAT TRAINER!
    Maybe Its Just Me, But I May Move Onto Someone Who Didn't Compromise The Horses They Are Using. I'm A Bit Sick Of Some Kinds Of Trainers.

    I'm Sorry I Don't Have Tolerance For That Stuff...There Are s
    Some Excellent, Caring, Qualified And Wonderful People Out
    There.... Ones That Have Mindsets To Further The Horses And Riders...They Are Peaceable People, That Don't Push You To But a NEW SADDLE, For A School Horse. Really!

    Hope Something Will Work Out For You Dang It, I'm So Exited That You've Made Progress. To Bad About This Set Back.
    Kac

    ReplyDelete
  6. This trainer is giving horrible advice using ridiculous reasons. As another former lesson taker on school horses, I agree with you: you buy a saddle to fit the horse you buy; lesson horses are ridden in school/owner saddles. Even when I rode at a ritzy dressage barn, I rode in the saddle that was assigned (and fitted) to each horse. The trainer was a rep for Schleese. She never once even hinted at a suggestion of me buying one of those saddles. I would definitely consider a different trainer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow.. Yeah lesson people don't buy saddles for once a week lessons!! I mean unless you want to but then like you said, you'd have to possibly buy a new saddle if/when you buy a horse.

    Stick to your gut/guns!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, all.

    I'm glad things haven't changed in the lesson world. I had been out of it so long, I just wasn't sure if what I had experienced years ago was still the norm (although it seemed illogical for it not to be!).

    I have one more lesson scheduled with her, and we'll see what happens. If she pulls the same stuff, I'm going to take my lesson (since I drove an hour already), pay her, and be on my way...I will not be going back. If she doesn't, well, I am still very hesitant to continue going there because I know it's a matter of time until she does it again.

    Yup, I may be visiting some of the places closer to home in the coming weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Man, sounds like my last trainer from the Little Barn of Horrors... I never had the right tack, never spent enough, and then when I did get pressured in to buying it, it would still be wrong. She didn't even have anything to gain, she was just crazy. Run away from this person as fast as you can, and don't look back. Best wishes for handling this uncomfortable situation!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm an instructor. I have two horses and six saddles. Why so many? It's because the saddle has to fit the horse AND the rider. So the big comfy saddle with the equitation seat fits the gelding with the low withers and round shoulders, but the Abetta slides around at the back. So, the little mare with the high withers and defined shoulders can wear the Abetta. The equitation saddle fits larger riders, which is handy since it fits the bigger horse. The little 14" saddle fits the mare nicely, which fortunately works well with smaller riders. And luckily for me, everybody's favourite 15" saddle fits both horses - wide enough for the gelding, enough withers clearance for the mare - plus the stirrups shorten enough for riders just under 5' tall. My big gelding usually does the pony rides for small children; the 11" saddle isn't the greatest fit on him but with a 40lb rider on a 20 minute ride it's not really a problem. So you see where I'm going with this. I need to have a combination of what fits the rider and horse at the same time.

    I'm not an expert on saddle fit and continue to learn what I can about it.

    I have never expected a rider to bring their own saddle!!! I teach a lot of beginners and don't even expect them to have their own boots and helmets for the first lesson. I have a few in a trunk to borrow. What if someone tries a few lessons and decides not to keep going? Most of my riders don't have their own horse, so they certainly won't have a saddle!

    I don't want to pass judgement on your instructor, but just had to weigh in with my opinion: it's her job to have saddle that fit HER horses. Keep yours for that day when you have a horse again, and then see if it fits your horse. Hopefully if you like her lessons, you can work that out with her, but either way, I wouldn't bother getting a different saddle. Hope this all works out for you!

    ReplyDelete

Wordless Wednesday: Sunset jump lesson