I took another lesson on Saturday and it went really well. Plus, it was 30 minutes earlier than the last one, and there was a beautiful breeze. So, I wasn't as exhausted when we finished. We did quite a bit of work on two-point at the walk and trot, as well as some elevated ground poles. I was pretty excited to think about a few jumps in my future!
I have a question for anyone who still pops by and reads, who takes lessons somewhat regularly or at all. My question is this:
If you're riding a horse that is not your own, are you expected to bring or have a saddle for your lesson?
I'm curious to see if the standard has changed since the last time I was taking regular lessons. Back then, if you had your own horse, you had your own tack - unless the instructor wanted you to try something, etc. If you were on a school horse, you used the school's tack.
It seems very logical to me to work that way, particularly if you ride english, where saddle fit is more of a concern. I will elaborate on why I'm asking at another time...but in the mean time, is that still the case?
Before I owned my own saddle I used school saddles or my lease saddle (as in their were a couple saddles in private ownership whose owners stated I could ride in said saddles as long as I cared for saddle as if it were my own.) When I was a WS I used the owners tack on their horse, my tack on Sale horses and ponies. Now when I take a lesson on a lesson horse I still use my own saddle and essentially pad up or down for the horse. Just because its a lesson saddle doesn't mean it actually fits any of the lesson horses so I might as well ride in a saddle thats comfortable for me.
ReplyDeleteI've seen it both ways. People who have nice saddles like to ride in them as long as they're reasonably close to fitting the horse. People just starting out usually don't have saddles, so they use whatever tack goes with the horse.
ReplyDeleteLessons are great...glad you had a good one.
ReplyDeleteTypically, if I was riding a school horse, I would expect to use the stable's saddle. With one exception - I ride western and I'm really short - so none of the saddles at the place I used to ride could be adjusted short enough for me! I brought my own saddle to use in that case.
Thanks for responding. If I were leasing, I would expect to use my saddle, if it fit the horse - if it didn't, I would expect to work out another solution with the owner, and perhaps purchase a saddle if it was a long-term lease.
ReplyDeleteSince I am just riding a "school" horse every couple of weeks for 30 minutes, I would expect the use the owner's saddle or the instructor's saddle, since that seems to be the preference on fit.
I'm reasonably sure my logic is not flawed there!
Laura, I ride hunter, but my understanding with western saddles is, either the fit doesn't vary quite as much as english (maybe the weight is better distributed?), or western horses are just more stoic and don't complain as much as english horses, LOL.
I think people taking lessons should be provided a saddle that fits the horse and them as well. This is all part of the service of a lesson, and learning how to check for saddle fit is all part of good horsemanship. My trainer has a wide variety of saddles for this reason. As a side note, after a lifetime of riding hunt seat and dressage who recently switched to more all around riding, I learned the hard way that a western saddle is not a western sadle is a western saddle. I bought a "less expensive" saddle for $700 new, and within 6 months determined that it was not working at all for me or my horse. I did a lot of research, and settled on a used Bob's Custom saddle that I found online that was built on a tree that fit my mare. The difference in my horse and me is night and day. Just like anything, it's all about moderation. Tack should fit (would you want to run 10 miles in shoes two sizes too small with 50 pounds on your back?) but sometimes a horse does just need to "get over it" when it comes to certain stuff.
ReplyDeleteI'm With The Above Responder. Every Trainer I've Used Had Several Saddles. Plus Every Horse Had Its Own Trusted, Fitted Saddle Too. With How Volatile Saddle Fit Cab Be, Getting It Right...I Honesty Cant Image Anyone Who Loves The Horse, Would Chance Injury , With Just Anyone Using WhatEver!
ReplyDelete