Friday, January 16, 2009

It's a love/hate thing

I typed the title, and then realized this post could take many directions. I did have one in mind.


I went for a walk with one of my coworkers at lunch time today. Usually there are about 5 of us, but today there were just 2 of us. Anyway, apparently my phone rang while we were walking, and I guess between the low volume and traffic, I didn't hear it, even though it was in my pocket. I saw the missed call when I got back to the office. It was the barn owner. 


Crap. Instant panic. So here is my love/hate thing...I love that she called me to tell me about such a minor thing (I'll detail in a second) and hate, at the same time, that automatic oh.my.god.what.happened reaction that sets in whenever a barn owner or manager calls me, and I know it's not about money, lol.


She called me to tell me that Promise's right front leg is swollen. She said she thinks its due to a small cut on her fetlock, and she doesn't think it's serious, and she cleaned it up for me. She also noticed the two cuts she has on the right hind, but didn't seem concerned about those (I wasn't either) -- and *thinks* she might have an abscess on its way out in the right hind hoof. I hope not...she's never had one before. I assumed it was something to do with the scar right at her coronet/hoof line from several years ago when she kicked herself with winter shoes and pads on. 


We both agreed it is probably from her just standing in her area, since she doesn't walk around much when she's in -- and Amy said she didn't notice any swelling when she was in the barn at 9 AM...Promise only would have been in for an hour or so at that point. She said if she sees any change later she'll call me. And I said if she thought I needed to come out and ice it, I certainly would, and that I would stop by tomorrow, just probably not at the time I have been coming out since the boy and I are going to see a civil war reenactment tomorrow. Sounds cool. :)


So anyway...we're not worried, really, but she wanted to forewarn me, which I definitely appreciate. And I am also incredibly relieved that it wasn't an emergency!!!


Have a great weekend. I am off Monday, but will probably have an update on Tuesday. :)

1 comment:

  1. Whewee!
    I gasped right there too...I do hate it when the owner calls me too!
    Gald that it may be nothing serious. There are many absesses in my barn right now for some reason. They come on so fast too..and apparently, can go away likewise.
    Will be looking for the next words!
    KK

    ReplyDelete

Wordless Wednesday: Sunset jump lesson