I was at work, and my cell phone rang just after lunch time. I had a moment of that instant panic that didn't allow me to enjoy my new ring tone, because it was someone from the barn. At least she started the conversation by telling me that nothing was wrong with Promise. But then it got a bit strange.
She began telling me about one of the girls who takes a jumping lesson on Saturday morning - and (some of the details escape me here, so I'll make a long story short) she was calling to see if the girl could try Promise in her lesson. She said I had no obligation to say yes, they were just asking, etc.
Ok...
I told her I was hesitant for a few reasons - the biggest one being Promise's current physical condition, and that I was very uncomfortable with her jumping, even small fences, right now. The second being that she has a history of back problems, and reacting quite violently to that pain -- and I do not want to put myself in a situation where it is a kid riding my horse, whose parents can turn around and sue me, should something *god forbid* happen to their kid. At least with an adult, they would be the ones physically signing the contract that I can assure you would have been longer than the one I made when I half-leased her 6 years ago. And, my third concern was that Promise needs an experienced rider, and has only had about 5 people on her since she was started under saddle - but it has mostly been me since day 1. She said she understood, and the conversation ended a few seconds later.
I think it took a long time for my brain to absorb what had taken place. On the one hand, I was flattered that they like my horse so much, and initially had thought about taking up the offer to go watch the lesson on Saturday and see the girl ride. I thought, perhaps, I would let her try Promise. And then I came to my senses. And realized that on the other, I was a bit insulted that she had the *ahem* balls to call me and ask me to make Promise -- a personal horse, basically, a lesson horse. Whether it was for this one girl only, or if they would eventually ask to put others on her -- I just can't even begin to fathom doing that to my mare. Not to mention the fact that, if I had wanted to do that to her, I wouldn't have had so much trouble riding on the equestrian team my freshman year in college, because my horse would have been a part of it -- and I wouldn't have had to miss practices to work off board so I could afford to keep her.
I also began to wonder who cooked up this scheme and actually thought it might work. I mean...wow.
I just think, in hind sight, that it was an extremely forward thing to ask a boarder who has been there for less than 3 weeks at that point, and that perhaps it wasn't taken into account that she isn't as perfect a horse as she may *seem* with me.
What do you think?
Based on what you've read of Promise so far, you've probably figured out that she is pretty opinionated and not shy about saying something hurts in admittedly inappropriate ways, etc. I find this is the biggest concern -- that she would get sore, and unintentionally hurt the kid who has probably never had the experiences that I did, riding bad ponies that I volunteered to ride and school or dealing with Promise's rearing and bucking phases, since I owned her in her most demonic stages.
But even in your own situation with your own horse -- would you be open to this? Or are you too protective, like me, to allow it? What's your reasoning either way? If you accepted, would you seek a deal from the barn in terms of board or leasing? etc.
I'm curious to see thoughts on this.
Hi I just stumbled across your blog and your above post struck a cord with me. I had a similar situation when I had a horse. I had part boarded him to this one girl and told her under no circumstances was he to go off the property without me. Weelp, the barn owner for some reason called me up and asked if my part boarder could take my horse to a few shows and I said no. And of course they both took my horse to the shows anyway behind my back. Needless to say I ditched the part boarder and moved barns. They really ran him into the ground in only 2 months... :(
ReplyDeletesorry! still upset and that was a few years ago. Anyway, If you are new to this barn be careful that they don't do that to you too! Im not saying your barn is bad by any means, but I had already been at my barn for 6 years when they pulled that stunt on me! And besides, you are a boarder - they really have no right to ask to use your horse, it is very unprofessional!
Good for you for standing up and saying no. really you shouldn't have to preface if or justify your reasoning why - she's your horse after all!
:)
Welcome! I hope you decide to come back...I tend to update once a week or so, occasionally more. :)
ReplyDeleteI have to admit, I did start to wonder, "OMG, what if they do it anyway" - but I don't believe the owner would allow that to happen.
Hay there..Ya know..thinking of moving barns again here sooomnay reasons and I have honestly TRIED HARD to be an awesome boarder(thety have done nothing to be awesome owners)ut..My one thing is I really REALLY want one freind!
ReplyDeleteIs there not someone there you may trust to look after Promise while you can't be there?
I think with all you are going through with her...absolutely not..what a weirdo thing to ask. They certainly don't take interest in your horse to not already know you are seeking advise on her health! MAN- I hate boarding!
KK
I really feel I can trust the owner. I opted not to bring this up to her, I didn't want to start trouble.
ReplyDeleteI have a feeling that the woman wasn't aware that Promise is off from being kicked on the right front, and I haven't actually *talked* to her, I'm not even positive I know who she is - so she would have no way of knowing Promise's history.
I will say, she has not done any of the stupid things she used to do in a LONG time - in fact, she's a different horse since we moved to FL - but that does not mean I want a kid riding her, lol.
PLUS, that would cut into my own riding time - because I wouldn't want to get on her before OR after an hour long lesson. So, that leaves me 1 day to ride my own horse - not sure if I mentioned that due to distance I can't get out there on weekdays unless there's an emergency or I'm off. Altho my boyfriend and I might be living in that area soon, depending on what we can afford.
Sorry for the attitude there in my last words..I just had gotten off the phone with another boarder and she told me the latest gick.
ReplyDeleteI am vry glad you traut the owner , that IS the way is it supposed to be!
Yes, I agree with you...it would take a lot to convince me I would be sharing my horse with someone!
KK
Good call. I've seen what people do with other peoples horses when given an "inch".
ReplyDelete