Wednesday, December 4, 2019

Brilliance

“Passion takes you to the mountain foot; talent takes you to the mountaintop; brilliance takes you to the sky;  genius takes you to the stars.” 
― Matshona Dhliwayo

Every fall, my company brings all of the (associate director and above) leadership together for an annual meeting. I don't yet have enough rank to get an invite to attend, but I am often on the designing end for the meeting materials. 

This year was no exception. As I was working on slides for the meeting, I noticed that one of the workshops was about choosing a word to live by for 2020. Everyone at the meeting was encouraged to print a certificate with their word on it and hang it in their office as a constant reminder. 

When my boss returned from the meeting, she encouraged the creative team to choose our words for 2020, as well. She chose imagine. I am not sure what the rest of the team chose yet, but I started looking for inspiration and quickly found a word that I kept going back to: Brilliance.

Brilliance is often defined as intense brightness of light but the definition that stuck out to me was: exceptional talent or intelligence.


It stuck out to me because I feel like I can make it apply to my career as a manager of creative services and graphic designer, both of which require exceptional talent AND intelligence. I can make it apply to my riding -- how often have you heard someone's riding described as brilliant? Even Charlotte Dujardin has done a clinic that was deemed "Bring on the Brilliance." It seems to refer to dressage, but hell, I think it can apply to any discipline! I can also make it apply to my marriage and other personal relationships. It felt, to me, to be an all encompassing word to focus on for 2020!

Anyway...that's all I have for now. I do have a few lesson updates to get to, but I'm still percolating on them :)

3 comments:

  1. Great choice! I hope 2020 is brilliant for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like it!!! esp bc the word can be used in so many ways with so many subtle (but positive!) nuances to the intention!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a great idea and I like your word!

    ReplyDelete

Wordless Wednesday: Sunset jump lesson