Monday, March 25, 2019

Slightly less broken

I showed up to the barn yesterday expecting a surcingle/lunge lesson. I don't know if T forgot or if she just didn't have a horse available that she wanted to put me on for it. I didn't ask, because if she forgot, I didn't want to make her feel bad. And, although I was looking forward to it, it wasn't a big deal to me either way if I rode in a saddle or not!

It was absolutely beautiful out yesterday and T taught the lesson before me outside. So, once I had Skylar saddled, I asked if I should lunge him first. She said she didn't mind if I did, because it establishes respect to work them on the ground first, and she had another 20 minutes or so with the rider before me. So, I bridled him and took him to the indoor to work him for a few minutes on the lunge. He was lazy at best and maybe a tiny bit foot sore from being a jerk and pulling both back shoes in turnout. 

After doing some walk-trot-canter in each direction, I brought him out to the outdoor to watch the last few minutes of the previous lesson. I mounted up and did my 2 laps of 2-point, stretching and rotating my shoulders to loosen them up a bit. She asked how they were feeling today and I said, Tight! 

She laughed and asked what I wanted to work on. I said, I swear, one of these days I actually will be prepared with a really good answer. But, I feel like I made some good progress last week and want to continue building on it. I also mentioned that I noticed while I was getting my hair cut on Saturday that I was sitting with my left obliques compressed and I had to keep reminding myself to sit up straight. (Who even sits like that to get their hair cut?!)

Anyway, she had me track right to start, working just inside the rail. Skylar was still feeling pretty lethargic and it took a lot of leg to get him going at first. We rode a large rectangle from the inside track to the quarter line to warm up. But instead of focusing on 90-degree turns, she wanted me to have him arc around my inside leg. He responded really well and the last couple of times we did this, I really felt him soften through his mouth and back and step up and under himself with his inside hind leg. Then we went to the posting trot and did a few half-school changes and some medium circles in the corners. (Yay! I can circle again!) 

When we came back to the walk to take a short break, she commented that my body is MUCH straighter and that Skylar looks really good with me. Like all of the horses I have ridden at her place so far, they are quick to tell on me if my body is not quite working properly but also quick to respond if I am doing it right. 

We cantered to the left first and our depart was prompt and fairly straight. But then I struggled at the top of the arena to keep him on the rail. I guess I was leaning in again and also gripping with my outside leg. :( She reminded me to lift my inside shoulder, bump and release with my outside leg, and use inside leg and indirect inside rein with an open outside rein to get him to straighten up get back to the rail. We did eventually succeed when I got out of his way but it was difficult for me! I had the same issue to the right, which I guess is a good thing -- I think it's a slight indication of being more balanced to have the same issue in both directions, rather than worse in 1 direction!

I think my goal before my next lesson in 2 weeks is to dig into my Mary Wanless books and see if I can find some ideas on things to work on as we progress. :)

2 comments:

  1. I find I sit funny all the time (including right now as I am responding to your post) It can be hard to be mindful of posture and position everyday. I like that you do a couple laps of 2 point and loosening up - I always do that for my horse but never do it for me. I'll need to incorporate that next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The 2 point is one of T's rules, but we did it at the other barn, too, so it's pretty normal/standard to me. I started incorporating the shoulder stretches on my own to see if I could get things to loosen up and be more relaxed before we start!

    ReplyDelete

Wordless Wednesday: Sunset jump lesson