Tuesday, July 23, 2013

A lesson to keep me sane

I took another lesson on July 6...work and life were crazy between my last lesson and this one, and I only rode twice in between - one last set for polo at the end of May and a 4 hour trail ride in the mountains of North Carolina in early June. 

I think S was happy to hear from me. I asked her if we could do something more consistent, and try for every other weekend. She said we could work something out when she returned from a show on the 23rd (she's been gone since the 9th!). 

Since the middle of June, I have been focusing more on strength training than cardio, trying to get back into shape and lose weight. And I definitely felt a difference on both fronts while riding...my muscles were stronger, and did not fatigue as quickly, but boy was it hard to breathe when trotting and cantering around. The heat did NOT help, it was 95*F or more, and HUMID, plus she scheduled at 11:30 a.m. -- ouch! 

She let us (me, ha!) rest plenty and I got quite a lot out of the horse, including a beautiful stretchy, soft trot after cantering, in each direction - so we were both pleased. I also noticed that she didn't tell me nearly as much to sit back. She still had to say it a few times, but it was considerably less - which was both because my core is stronger, so it was easier and because I was making a more conscious effort to stay back!

So, I resolved to start adding a couple days of cardio back in to my gym routine (I still want to finish the C25k program, anyway).

And, I will be reaching out to her later this week to try to get something somewhat regular scheduled...I'm looking forward to being in the saddle more. And, to continuing to build strength, so I can start jumping again!

2 comments:

  1. Yea!! So good to hear this news. You are awesome!
    Lessons can be difficult, and in heat, truly!Getting in shape is a worthy ambition, and I know you will!!

    Gosh, hope it cools for your lessons next time..will give you extra stamina!

    HAPPY Dancing here for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay lessons and fitness!!

    Sounds like you have an awesome plan :)

    ReplyDelete

Wordless Wednesday: Sunset jump lesson