When I made the decision to have Promise euthanized, I planned to band and cut her tail. A couple days before the vet was due out, I washed and conditioned it and then while we waited out the rain storm the day of, I banded and braided it below the tailbone.
I did not think to take a before picture of the braid, but she had quite a bit of tail. (If only she'd had that nice of a tail when we were showing!!) It was well past her fetlocks and pretty thick in the middle.
I very quickly decided on two items that I *had* to have made. Each would take about 1/3 of the hair to make. Below is a photo of the first keepsake piece that I received in the mail tonight -- a hand-made horse hair dreamcatcher.
If you'd like more info on having one made, please contact Claire and Lauren at Colorado Wrangler Works. They were great to work with and all that handiwork took about 2 weeks.

Now that is certainly a sweet memory item of Promise!
ReplyDeleteIt was so neato to see you at my place, you doing well?
KK