Monday, August 27, 2012

This takes a lot of getting used to.

Since February of 1998, I have been able to say, "I have a horse. Her name is Promise. etc, etc, etc"...probably ad nauseam, to some.

 It's weird now to think of that in the past tense.

 My boyfriend thought for sure I'd want to ride the horse he takes care of, Prince, on my birthday 2 weeks ago. While I would have loved to hack around for a bit and for the most part, have been riding him a couple of times each weekend, I was getting my hair cut as my birthday present to myself, and quite vainly didn't want to ruin my new 'do by getting all sweaty! Especially since he was going to take me out to dinner. (I might love horses and not mind being dirty, but I'm still a girl. :))

I also just wasn't feeling up to riding a horse other than my own on that particular day. It was my day...and also the day before the 1 month mark. :(

This weekend was the first time we've had a tropical storm threat since I've been in Florida that I haven't had to think about the specifics of my horse's safety. Weird. Instead, I spent a while on Saturday and Sunday doting on Prince (I couldn't ride because he was inexplicably lame this weekend). Gave him a bath, slathered him in corona to help his overly sensitive thoroughbred skin heal from the rain rot that went untreated until my boyfriend started caring for him. (His owners are clueless. But, it's clearing up quite nicely, now.) And, made sure there were two stalls ready with shavings and water, cleaned and refilled the water trough in his paddock, etc. in case we lost power and/or water, and put anything that could potentially turn into a projectile in the tack room. Ha. All that and we barely got rain...although we're not out of the woods quite yet.

On a slightly brighter, although bittersweet note, I sent out 1/3 of her tail about 2 weeks ago to start the ball rolling on the first of two keepsakes. I am very excited about it and can't wait to see the finished product. The girls making it seem great - very sweet and honest - and their handiwork with horse hair looks absolutely amazing. I will be sure to post photos when I receive it...which hopefully will be in the next week or so.

The second piece I want to have made will likely wait until closer to Christmas, when I should receive another bonus from work. Also, my boyfriend had an interesting idea for the last 1/3 of the tail, and I have been pondering how best to execute it, because it was really an interesting and thoughtful idea...something that hadn't even crossed my mind. And, it will be relatively inexpensive to do (unlike the other two!), since I would do all the hand-skill work myself.

1 comment:

  1. I just caught up on your blog. I'm so sorry to hear you lost Promise--I know how hard it is to lose a loved horse, and I'm also familiar with that mix of relief and grief that follows such a decision. You gave her a good life and a peaceful death and that's all we can do. But it is so hard to get used to the fact that they're not with us any more--at least in their bodies. I believe their spirits watch over us. Sending you good wishes.

    ReplyDelete

Wordless Wednesday: Sunset jump lesson