Thursday, April 12, 2012

Birthday, Lameness, Lysine

Happy 18th birthday, Promise!!

About 3 weeks ago, my (new) boyfriend and I went camping overnight in a park a few miles from the barn. On Sunday morning, we broke down camp and headed over to the barn so he could meet Promise. I had ridden lightly on Saturday and she'd been a little less sound than I had hoped. There was a cold front coming through, so I attributed it mostly to stiffness. We mostly walked and trotted a little bit - I was on her for maybe 20 minutes, so I do mean a LIGHT ride. She worked out of it reasonably well, so I thought I was probably right about the front. Sunday morning, she was nearly three-legged at the trot. Sigh. I got on and walked her around for a while to get her moving, and she felt great at the walk and was happy to be out and about. Clearly, it was not just the cold front.

I've been up to see her a few times since, but have mostly left her alone. Last night, she looked awesome when I turned her out for a few minutes. Great at the walk, and about 95% at the trot. Then she took a few steps of canter up a small slope and came back to the trot gimpy. Not nearly as bad as she had been, but I brought her back in and spent some more time grooming and then did some groundwork with her because she was being pushy and had a bit of an attitude. Straightened it out in just a few minutes and had my polite, responsive girl back. :)

And finally, she has been on Pure Lysine for just over a month now. Check out the difference:

March 14 - she looks anorexic through the hip and topline, despite the everlasting (gobstopper) hay belly. She had been on it for about a week, at this point.
March 25 - just 11 days later, and already a slight difference in the angle of that hip -- good, that means it's working!
April 11 -- almost 3 weeks after the last photo. The angle is slightly different here (oops), but there is a definite difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wordless Wednesday: Sunset jump lesson