I realized a week or so ago that it had been over a month since I posted. I've been keeping up with everyone's blogs as best I can…but my own lack of posting is due mostly to getting used to my new job (and having a HUGE freelance project to work on when I got home at night, that was wrapped up at the end of January), trying to get back to the gym a few times a week, spending time with Promise and some additional personal stress/stuff that was going on, as well. Basically, I just didn't feel like it. :)
Promise is doing great -- she's happy, spunky and pretty damn sound. When I was there on Sunday, she actually bucked a couple of times on the lunge line when I asked her to switch to the correct lead going to the right. :)
We walked around for a while, crossed the river, went up the trail and came back. I tried a little trot and she felt sticky behind. I'm sure she would have worked out of it but it was hot (she's as hairy as a yak) and I didn't want to overdo it.
Speaking of yaks…not only does she have a normal winter coat this year, but she has not been shedding all winter. And, all of the other horses have started shedding…and she's shedding too! Yes!
Today marks 1 year since the barn owner found her upside down with her leg stuck between a gate and the fence. Horrifying scene (see the post here). 2011 was a rough year for both of us -- but especially for her. I am thrilled that she's obviously feeling so much better.
Also, I have decided to try her on Lysine for a couple of months to see if it will help her regain some muscle tone. She's looking awfully skinny through the hips and unfortunately, feeding won't bring it back. But the supplement has great reviews, even for non-working horses and those recovering from lay-ups, so I figure it's worth a shot. If there were more hours in the day, I'd love to rebuild her muscles in the old fashioned way, but it is what it is, right? Sometimes I really do long for the good ole days when I had enough time to ride 6 days a week.
Anyway, I have some pictures and video to post, but I just wanted to give a quick update. :) Hope everyone is having a great start to 2012!!
No comments:
Post a Comment