Friday, September 30, 2011

Vet's report

I am still stewing about Ms. Wench's behavior for the vet. I think the thing that really gets me is that I had her ground tied while I groomed and examined the leg myself and she never moved a muscle. And then she proceeds to kick the friggen vet. Grr.

Anyway. The vet was worried it might be a "summer sore" (Click to read more.) -- which I had never heard of before, but I guess it makes sense. After looking at it, she decided it probably wasn't that, after all. But the lack of obvious healing definitely has her worried. I mean, it's been 6 months. It's more than long enough.

She gave us more oral antibiotics and an antibiotic cream to apply under a bandage during the day, when she's inside. She recommended no bandage when she goes out, to decrease rubbing and let it get air. Luckily, she goes out at night when the flies are less. She also recommended Granulex spray for when it's not wrapped and to then coat it in SWAT to keep flies off of it.

She also suggested worming her, even though she isn't due for a couple more weeks, and gave us some extra-strength oral worming thing (no clue what it's called) to give 2x a day for 3 days in addition to that.

If it's not obviously improved in 14 days, she wants to come back and do an x-ray to make sure there isn't a bone chip causing the trouble. Also something I had never heard of.

Hmm, learning all kinds of things lately.

She did agree that putting her on Pergolide was probably a good move and when I mentioned some of the symptoms, thought it was definitely a good possibility. So, 2 vets are with me. And I do think it's making a difference, even in terms of how bad this heat cycle is.

It's hard to tell if it was the last round of antibiotics or the Pergolide that made the difference in this cut, but unfortunately, delaying one or the other wasn't possible without stopping her other supplements or delaying the antibiotics. Catch-22.

1 comment:

  1. Wow that was interesting reading on the summer sore problem.
    I'm so happy to hear of the progress.

    My sisters mare Pantz, has the worst " bedding sores" ever this summer. She has no. Bedding the new BO my sister has- doesn't use it on the rubber matts. Weve had to constantly go to the barn and vet and wrap her legs .

    On that bone spur thing..my Thermography specialist found a heat pattern with a vet recently on a mares pasturn. The vet xrayed it to find the smallest spur,that was causing great discomfort in the mare. Don't know what was done.
    Hope it gets sorted out soon for you!

    ReplyDelete

Wordless Wednesday: Sunset jump lesson