Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Contest, Update, Random Thought

Shameless plug for a second entry: 
Don't miss out on a chance to win one of Kate's fantastic hand-painted saddle pads! Visit The Adventures of Lucy to enter!


Update:
Miss P (maybe it should still be Miss W) was still sassy and still in raging heat on Saturday. Apparently, she's been in heat for at least two weeks and she can't keep her eyes off this new gelding in the stall beside her.


But, on the bright-not-so-slutty side, she was quite sound...so much so that I promptly dragged her sassy little butt back to the barn and threw my saddle and bridle on. We then proceeded to mostly walk, but we did trot around twice in each direction (my foot wasn't too crazy about me posting) and I even let her canter half way around in each direction. She was good. Forward, but stiff through the mouth. I didn't ask for very much in terms of bending, as it really wouldn't be fair, but in previous rides, she's retained a good amount of the softness she had when she was in regular work. Could just be a side effect of the mood she's been in. Who knows?


Random Thought:
I had an rather odd thought just as I was falling asleep the other night and it made me go..."Hmm?"


I think the majority of her behavior for the vet was hormonal/herd-boundness. But I can't help but wonder how much of it is related to her last vet visit (with this same vet), which was that emergency call back in February, where she was clearly in quite a bit of pain and pretty distressed. 


Anyone think memory might have something to do with it? Thoughts? I could be crazy, too. :)

3 comments:

  1. Sure, I don't think it's far fetched to say she now associates the vet with bad things. Maybe next time they come out for a scheduled/routine visit they can spend some time feeding her cookies and loving on her. My vet does that with Lu and she just loves him. Granted, I do too...he's even got an Irish accent hehehehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting thought. It could definitely be related--a barn friend's now gelding had massive complications from the procedure and now wants nothing to do with men (vet was male) ever.

    She basically let him go without having to see a male vet for a year, and is now hoping to slowly work him through it. Fortunately, she's friends with a vet, so that's not as expensive as it sounds.

    So glad Promise is doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting blog - why not come and post it with a new Equine Blogging Network called Haynet. We would love to have you there http://hay-net.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete

Wordless Wednesday: Sunset jump lesson