Life seems to have gotten slightly crazy again all of a sudden...and I didn't really notice until I realized I hadn't updated in quite a while.
I had a great ride again 2 weeks ago, that very closely mirrored the one I wrote about on April 29, minus some of the drama, and mistakes. I think I did a better job of keeping my body steady and strong and of supporting her so that she could better carry herself. This was pretty well proven when she picked up the right lead the first time I asked!
And then I wasn't able to get up there last weekend because of Mother's Day and family stuff. I'm feeling incredibly guilty, because I can't help but wonder if she'd been worked last weekend, if this wouldn't have happened:
Since it is the SAME spot, and was previously scabbed over with an ugly grey, scar-like scab, but not making any additional progress healing, I think it's fair to assume that this is blown abscess #2.
It's really pretty gross looking - the cellphone picture just doesn't do it justice, lol - and it seems fairly ouchy. I cleaned it up, and wrapped it with vet wrap to see how she was moving. She's walking decently, but she's pretty lame at the trot. It's definitely not coming from high-up on the leg, so it is related to this little beauty. Then I unwrapped it and let it air out while we hand-grazed and talked with the barn owner for 30 minutes or so.
Cleaning round #2, with lots of peroxide, water, and scrubbing. (Yea, she hates me right now.) It didn't fizz much, so that's a really good sign. But I think there is more to it underneath some of the crusty hair surrounding it, I just don't want to cause her any unnecessary pain to find out.
I let it air dry while I pulled her mane, then put Wonder Dust on it, wrapped it with a diaper, vet wrap and a single turn of duct tape and then turned her back out with her buddies.
On the bright side, she's sound in the front after only a week with no shoes!
Whoa, what she do!
ReplyDeletetrulyNo way, you telly think that it's an abcess? Never seen one on a pastern. Hope that heals and the swelling goes down! Glad it is looking better than before.
No shoes..
Good for you.
Ouch! Looks like she over-reached and clipped that area with another hoof. Absesses tend to be more circular.
ReplyDeleteSure hope it heals quickly. Get some Vetercyn. Much better...and not painful like peroxide. The peroxide foams in an open wound. Doesn't necessarily mean there is infection or germs. And it burns terrible when foaming. Try some in your own open wounds. Ouch!
Get some Vetercyn. Good stuff and will help that wound heal quickly.
~L
Since it is on the outside of a hind leg, I don't think she clipped it. We really don't know what it is, but since it's been the same spot twice, it seems an abscess is likely...although not necessarily normal in that spot or shape!
ReplyDeleteI'll look into the Vetercyn. Thanks!