My story hasn't changed in several weeks.
Promise is about the same. I've been severely lacking in the time and motivation to get there to even hand walk her, but she has been going out with two of the older boys at night, so she's not really missing out when it comes to me walking her. It's been hot and miserable and super busy. And to be honest, when Saturday rolls around, I just don't WANT to!
The barn owner has been great, and communication has been low, because there have been no changes for the better or worse.
The no changes for the better has me concerned. When I was there last, she was perky, happy and energetic, but still stepping VERY short on that right hind. Besides that lameness, she's fine. Since she's going out, she's not losing weight, she eats all night every night. And generally speaking, she looks pretty good.
It saddens and worries me that she was not healthy enough this summer to get her normal dapples in. :(
Anyway, I took myself to the chiropractor yesterday for a consultation and have an adjustment scheduled for tomorrow. While waiting for my appointment to begin, I was watching a slideshow in the waiting area, and began to think that maybe I should have an equine chiropractor come evaluate Promise - or at least have a phone discussion with one. I started to think that perhaps - just maybe - these injuries have been caused by, or maybe are causing, a misalignment due to compensation. I know K had recommended a massage therapist a while back, but I think that maybe a chiropractor evaluation would be more beneficial right now. If her spine and/or hips are out of alignment, perhaps that is exacerbating the injury, and maybe preventing her from healing properly or at all. Worth a shot.
So, I emailed the barn owner to see if she knows any chiropractors, or has a friend of a friend type thing. I don't know anyone that does it here, haven't needed one in many years, and not since we moved to Florida. If she doesn't, I will call the vet and ask them for a recommendation. The barn owner says she thinks she might know someone in the process of completing a certification or such, that might take Promise on as a study case for little or no charge. How perfect if that comes through!
Hi there sweetie,
ReplyDeleteSorry I've not been here in awhile....and also that things see still not any better for your Promise! Heartbreaking.
What about calling other nice stables? Someone has to have an equine therapist. Soft tissue people can really help and identify issues too.
Does it ever cool off there?
KK
Yes, it is supposed to be a high of 85 starting next Monday! 85 is considerably more bearable than 95. But I am anxiously waiting for 78-80 for the day time high! :)
ReplyDeleteNo luck yet on the Chiro, but I haven't been chasing it too much. One of my vets is apparently certified in equine accupuncture, so at the very least, I have that route. I'll spend more time and find someone, either massage or chiropractor, when I get back from vacation. I leave on Sunday...can't wait!