Monday, September 22, 2008

Another week.



Another day, another week. This weekend was considerably easier than last weekend. But it was still difficult. The house is so empty without Harley. Kris is coping well. My mom took him to the dog park on Saturday, and I guess there were two Rotties there when they arrived. He went running up to them, probably wondering if either of them was his sister. And, then, maybe if they were related to her. 




My boyfriend and I went to the Brad Paisley/Jewel concert Friday night. It was a lot of fun. Jewel is amazing, and I wish it had been her show, not her opening. I wish, too, that Brad Paisley hadn't played "When I Get Where I'm Going" three songs before he finished. I was having a great time...and then he made me cry. Between the lyrics, and the images in the background (celebrities, presidents, the towers, etc)...I just couldn't help it. 


---


On a brighter note. I worked Promise on the lunge line for about 20 min last Monday. And then did some ground work with her while I cooled her out to remind her of the rules. She was a nut on the lunge line. Listened well enough, but you'd think she never got out of her stall the way she wanted to gallop. I used the front paddock, and bozo girl thought I was turning her out, instead of making her work. She quickly remember that swinging around so she was facing me and squealing like an idiot isn't going to get her turned out anyway, and then settled down to do what I wanted, instead. She only pouted for a minute or two. And only pranced for about half of that time...until she remembered what "walking" means, and that if she does it when I ask, she can have a bigger circle and I let go of her face.


I wanted to do a few more minutes of trot work with her to start rebuilding her endurance, but she'd had her feet done that day, so she was sore. And she was getting pretty warm. I'll work her tonight or Wednesday night, too. It's starting to cool off slowly. I have hope that eventually we won't break the 90* mark, and then I will start riding her again. I'm hoping for at least twice a week. I need like 3 more hours in the day so I don't have to choose between her and the gym. I mean, I know riding is a workout, but when she's so unfit, it's not fair to work her enough for my workout to have meant anything to my body! 


I'll try to do a more in depth, thoughtful post later on today or tomorrow. I've just been sort of brain dead and mentally shut down recently. I'm sure it's understandable.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wordless Wednesday: Sunset jump lesson