Very unattractive. Rather gross, to be honest. If I failed at teaching her to blow her nose, I would at least want to show her to spit it out instead of swallowing it and creating more of the problem.
But, enough of that. It's pretty disgusting.
I did manage to get her to eat the last couple of days. At least half of her bowl, which is huge progress. She has eaten more in the last two days than in the last two weeks. Scary. Really, incredibly scary. If she won't eat, we can't help her, we can't keep her with us. If she won't eat, we have to let go.
The thing is. She WANTS to eat. She's interested in the food. Not sure what the problem is exactly - unfortunately, even after all these years, I don't speak dog. I had thought she was having trouble chewing the kibble. So, we got cans and packets for her, to soften it up, make it so she didn't really have to chew. She would pick at it. Tried scrambled eggs, which she's always loved. She ate them. But 3 eggs is not enough protein compared to a cup of kibble. At least it's something in her belly, though, right?
Then she wouldn't eat the eggs. Or the packets. Or the cans. Or the soup with steak in it. Or...anything. I literally have been sitting on the kitchen floor, hand feeding her, spoon feeding her. Making silly airplane noises. You name it, I've tried it. I couldn't get enough into her.
The other night, I tucked her in and brought her two cookies beyond what she'd already had. It took her a while, but she devoured them as quickly as she could. Clearly, she's having trouble chewing the hard stuff. But she was definitely, without a doubt, interested in those cookies.
I went and grabbed a handful of kibble. I spread it out on the bed in front of her. She looked at me in disbelief. She started to pick the pieces up one at a time, and eat them. She looked at me again, like, FINALLY, I've been trying to tell you for weeks.
I felt so horrible. So guilty. I thought we'd been helping her by giving her soft stuff. Apparently, she can handle the kibble better, even though it's tough to chew. Maybe it has to do with the softness/liquidity of the packets, etc. Maybe because she's having trouble breathing through her nose, she can't breathe through her mouth (yes, she's figured out how, without panting) while licking at the soft stuff. Think about a human with a cold, and bad sinus congestion. It's easier to chew, albeit with your mouth open, than to drink, because you can't exhale as you drink, your nose is stuffed. Interesting.
We gave her 1/4 lb of hamburg with some cheese mixed in, and her normal ration of kibble last night. She ate about 1/2 of it, in two sittings. Pretty good. And consider, she was probably full after that, she hasn't been eating.
So. At least she's eating more than she has been.
No comments:
Post a Comment