Friday, May 14, 2021

Foal Friday: Charlee

I was actually at the barn the day this little guy arrived, but I did not get to see him being born. πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘ It was a Thursday night, and 4 of us were scheduled for the 6:30 group lesson. 

When I arrived around 5, I went into the broodmare barn to visit Layla, Ethan and Sophi. I chatted with M a little bit -- she purchased Sophi and the baby from T in August and she was anxiously awaiting the arrival of her new little bundle of joy. I commented that it looked like she would go into labor any minute. Turns out, she was already in the beginning stages!

As I was getting ready for class, I saw T fly down the hill on the golf cart. We got a text a little while later saying class was cancelled and we could hack. I figured Sophi was in labor, but got a little more info from J as I was letting Jo drink. Sophi had fallen as she was walking into her stall from her paddock. She was unwilling or unable to get back up, and M was quite understandably very panicky to see her very strong-willed mare so vulnerable. So T had gone down there to see what was happening and ended up calling the vet. Turns out Sophi was in labor, in addition to the very large baby pushing on a nerve. All of that had made it difficult for her to get back up. 

She was still down in the paddock when I went down to turn Jo out. Jo is quite empathic and didn't want to walk through the barn to get to her pasture. I can only imagine what was happening between her and Sophi, or what she was feeling from all of the people there in those moments.

I peeked in on Sophi just to see how she was doing. There was quite a crowd in her stall and paddock to show support and help, if needed. I really wish I had been able to stay but my husband was at a friend's house and his truck was in the shop, so he was waiting on me to pick him up. I knew it could have been hours or even the next day. It was a sacrifice I would not have made if the timing had been different! Oh well πŸ™

Sophi has a lot of fight, though. She foaled between 8:30 and 9 (damnit!) and by some miracle, both mom and baby were ok. M named him Charlee, after her dad, who apparently was also a red head. Charlee is a strawberry roan, half thoroughbred and half belgian brabant. His dad is a beautiful bay roan. You can stalk him here.

First hours in the world

He's a chonky boy, but so handsome!


Giant star!

1 comment:

  1. Yikes! Glad all wound up okay! That's pretty scary!
    Charlee is ADORABLE! I hope you share more pictures as he grows up!

    ReplyDelete

Wordless Wednesday: Sunset jump lesson