Tuesday, November 27, 2018

Hunter Pace

On Sunday, I did my first ever hunter pace. It was originally supposed to be on 11/18, but we had a solid week of rain and it got postponed for safety reasons. All of the school horses are finally sound, no need to change that or chance anyone getting hurt in sloppy conditions! It did rain for several hours the day before, but luckily they didn't postpone again!
Winslow and I waiting for our turn, after we warmed up with a lot of walking and some trotting
My ride time was 10:10, but true to form on every show or horse event I've ever been to, it didn't take long for them to be running 10+ minutes behind! My team and I left around 10:25. We walked out to the main field and then once the ground felt less squishy, I asked Winslow the trot and the 2 girls with me followed suit. It didn't take long for us to get to the first obstacles, but the ground looked really sloppy/muddy around it, so we opted to trot by and head to the next one. That one look better and they both jumped it, but I kept going to the next set of logs, which Winslow and I popped over at a trot. We stopped for a boot adjustment on Rocky and then continued on. After that, the markers led us back onto a wooded path which was sloppy, so we came back down to a walk. 


A line of gates that didn't bring up any memories of breaking my arm when I fell off of Promise over a gate!


All in all, we mostly walked and did a little bit of trotting and cantering, mostly around the jumps that were set up. Most of the fences (aside from the first 2) had pretty decent footing around them, so we jumped several. I noped at a "brick" wall (it was actually wood but I wasn't feeling it) and opted to do the crossrail after it. After that, I noped at a log that was not a cleanly cut jump, but rather an actual fallen tree. 

I think I would have been a bit braver with the fences if it hadn't been quite so wet, but I honestly don't know ๐Ÿ˜‚ either way, it was a fun outing. I do wish it had been drier so we could have trotted and cantered more, but (especially given the footing) we were under strict orders to not come back with lost shoes or lame horses!


Waiting our turn to jump the gates

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wordless Wednesday: Sunset jump lesson