Friday, September 21, 2018

WEG 2018

After reading all of the negative comments on the WEG Facebook page for days on end, particularly as Hurricane Florence clobbered North and South Carolina, causing cancellations and rescheduling, I kept my expectations sort of low. But, I couldn't help but be excited to be attending a show of this magnitude and importance, so close to home, even if it was only for 1 day! I was really surprised to see the stands were mostly empty. The crowds were a lot thinner than I expected, but I thought, maybe it's because the events we chose to see are just not as popular or exciting as some of the others: Jumping individual speed round, Grade III Para-Dressage, and Vaulting. 

Anyway, despite all of the negativity surrounding the event, I was really proud of Tryon for pulling it off, even with some of the highly publicized issues they had encountered. I think, in many ways, they got a raw deal between weather during peak hurricane season, not having the full 2 years to prepare, and their facility being incomplete. I hope they will host again in the future because I would really love to attend more than 1 day in the future!















1 comment:

  1. I agree with you - and it's so expensive to do any kind of infrastructure building in this country.

    ReplyDelete

Wordless Wednesday: Sunset jump lesson