Last night, we rode in the outdoor arena, which was pretty glorious. It was about 70 degrees, even after the sun went down and it was refreshing to be under the lights without a cover!
As I led Riko to the mounting block, I half jokingly said to K, "I really need 1 more step on this thing." She was like, "Oh, just do this." and proceeded to flip the 3 stair mounting block over so that the bottom step was now the top, which raised it a solid 6 inches, maybe more. My jaw dropped. I was like, "Is this a thing? It's stable that way?" And she replied with, "Oh yea, I do this all the time, especially to get on Riko!"
I was having to lower my left stirrup 4 holes and I was still struggling to lift my leg that high, grab mane and throw my leg over all 18.2hh of his back before he decided he had been standing still long enough and was going to walk away! I was able to raise my stirrup 1 hole and still get on easily. In fact, I may only have to lower it 2 holes total with this new trick.
Mind blown. This is such a simple thing to do but I never thought of it, and it's such a game changer, lol. It made my day!

I just saw someone do this at a horse show to get on and thought oh that's smart! My barn has several stationary big wood mounting blocks around for mounting large beasts. I could get on my now retired 18.1 hand TB bareback just fine!
ReplyDelete