When I was in high school, I was in a private jumping lesson with Promise, who was maybe 6 at the time. There was a 4-jump gymnastic set up on the right side of the arena and we were schooling it on the right lead heading toward home. It was a 1 to a 1 to a 2, if I remember correctly. I feel like it was crossrail to small vertical to bigger vertical to a gate, but my memory is not exact on that part! I know the last one was definitely a gate!
The last time we went through, Promise sucked back at the first 2, almost refused the 3rd and then stopped at the 4th, before taking it from a standstill. She landed off balance and bucked to right herself, which made me more off balance, and I went head first into the arena wall, moving it about 2 feet, and breaking my wrist in 3-4 places, because I tried to catch myself as I fell.
That was not a great way to start the Christmas season of my senior year in high school, lol. But, we both came back from it, and Promise got some training rides while I was out of commission due to the pain of my broken wrist. It was hard to get back in the saddle (that saying of always get right back on is so true!), but once I did, it all came back to me pretty quickly.
Anyway! My lessons here have been going really well. We had a by-week of sorts between spring session ending and summer session beginning, and I utilized it to get back into a workout routine. That week and a half of workouts really upped my game when I got back in the saddle last Thursday! I felt so much stronger all around, and while I want to keep building on that, I realized my cardio game needs to be stepped up a bit, too. It's a work in progress.
Last night we did gymnastics, slowly building up from ground poles to about 2'3" and K recorded everyone's last round before we cooled the horses out. So, here's my final round on Wilhemina. I think we nailed it!
No comments:
Post a Comment