Monday, August 3, 2015

21 days of rain...and a great lesson

It's been raining for 21 days straight here. Rumor has it, we're finally going to dry up this week, but who knows. I think weather is the only occupation you can have where you can be wrong 99% of the time, and still keep your job. :-|

Anyway, Thursday night, I got to the barn as the sky opened up. C wasn't there, but had apparently run home to change, because she was soaked, and was on her way back. She gave me the option to ride, since there was no thunder or lightning, or to reschedule, and I decided to reschedule for Sunday at 10:30.

My fiance went with me yesterday, so we could take his truck (which can get out of the mud a lot easier than my car!). I got AJ ready, and brought him to the arena to hop on, when the sky opened up again. Torrential downpour, hitting the tin roof. Woohoo!

C came in and said, ok, since we aren't going to be able to jump in this weather, let's work on keeping contact, extending and collecting at all gaits and see if we can get him to be less resistant and more engaged. 

So, we spent the next 40 minutes or so doing just that. And, I think it was one of the best rides I've had on AJ, once he stopped giving to my hands but ignoring my legs, and still traveling hollowed out! His canter is normally pretty jarring and uncomfortable, but when he's engaged behind and light in the front, it actually isn't bad.

I call that a win, even if we did have to swim home!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wordless Wednesday: Sunset jump lesson