Friday, June 19, 2015

Imagine that...

...if I don't subconsciously drop my eye at the base of the jump, I get a pretty consistent distance, every time.

Last night, C was out of town, so my new lesson partner and I rode with A, who was just hired by L, as a slightly more advanced instructor. 

She asked what I'd been working on, and I told her holding consistent contact and riding AJ forward into it. So, that's what we did. She had me counting strides at the canter for every pace, all the way around the arena: collected, working, extended.

The point was to take poles and/or jumps in stride, instead of worrying so much about finding the right distance. If the pace is consistent, this happens naturally. 

So, she had me continue to count every stride when we started jumping. The first course, I sort of bombed all of my distances. Oops. 

The 2nd time around, she reminded me before every fence to look past it. (Duh...I totally know this, it's Jumping 101! And, surprise! It totally works.) We kept the same pace, AJ stopped sucking back...and, we got all of our distances. 

Moral of the story: Don't look down!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wordless Wednesday: Sunset jump lesson