Friday, April 12, 2013

Happy Birthday, Promise

Today would have been Promise's 19th birthday. It's still really hard to believe she's gone. Although I have never regretted making the decision to let her go -- I know it was the right thing to do for her -- not a day goes by that I don't think of her and wish she was still around.


Enjoying a birthday mash in 2011
I've been getting plenty of horse time lately and even the occasional time in the saddle, riding sets for polo (which is riding 1 and ponying 1 or more). 

I can definitely tell the running I've been doing is helping a lot -- when I rode a set back in January, after walking to the track and cantering the 1st lap on the 1 mile track, I was pretty sure I was going to die. I couldn't breathe, and I was exhausted, not only from riding, but from trying to figure out how to hold onto the 2 horses I was ponying! The biggest problem that day was: I still had 2 laps to go, plus the walk back to the barn. :(

But, when I started riding sets again in the last month or so, not only could I breathe normally at the end of 3 laps, I wasn't sore when I dismounted! The next day, I was pretty sore, but in a good I-worked-out-hard kind of way. Since then, the 3 laps have been getting easier, and now I hardly get sore at all. The best part (other than the saddle time!) about riding sets is, it's really helping me get my seat and legs back. Since they are polo horses, they have no problem bumping each other and they are really fit, so they want to go-go-go. I learned very quickly how to make sure I didn't get my foot knocked out of a stirrup!

Anyway, the news I alluded to in my last post has finally been arranged, and I am taking a lesson on Saturday morning. I'm very excited and a little nervous, mostly because I haven't taken a lesson since 2002 when Promise and I were showing and I know I'm not quite as "riding fit" as I'd like to be. 

AND, I finally got the last 2 keepsakes I have planned - I still have a LOT of hair left, and have not decided what I will do with it, yet.
Celtic knot bracelet from www.spirithorsedesignbracelets.com


Photo matte with celtic knot, also from www.spirithorsedesignbracelets.com and my favorite picture

The horse hair dreamcatcher I ordered from www.cowranglerworks.com, hanging above the picture 

10 comments:

  1. Hi! I'm new to your blog and have been catching up. The bracelet made of Promise's hair is stunning! Very unique. This is coming late, but I'm so sorry for the loss of your girl; she sounds like a once-in-a-lifetime kind of mare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Saiph - and thanks for reading :) She definitely was my "heart" horse. I am enjoying having horses in my life again but as much as I like them, it'll never quite be the same. And who knows if I will ever take the plunge and own another...that remains to be seen!

    I really love the bracelet. Since the moment I saw it, I knew I had to have one. I thought it was bigger from the photos on the website, but was pleasantly surprised when I received it to find it's not as wide as I had thought. As a result, I've been wearing it pretty much every day that I am not at the barn.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am thinking about you today! The bracelet is a work of art :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That bracelet is beautiful and I'm sorry for your loss, it never really leaves us, those horses we love so much, they stay with you forever.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Kate :) Btw, I keep meaning to take a pic of one of the polo horses - her name is Lucille (we call her Lucy, obviously) and I swear they could be sisters, altho she's probably a shrimp in comparison. I'll try to remember this weekend!

    L - horses, dogs, it doesn't matter. They leave an imprint on our hearts and change us forever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love The Photo Of You Two Also!
    She's Perfectly Jumping! She Surely Loved Her Times With You Too.

    That Bracelet Really Is Awesome..So Special.

    I Feel Terrible, Mine Turned 17 In March, And I Didn't Even Post About It. So Many People Do.
    WA Mare Knows I Love Her...She Had A Carrot Apple Pile, And Slobbered Her Way Through Em All!

    What Fun, Riding The Ponies...My Sis Did That. Great Way To Start In Cardio Shape Huh! Love To See Them Sometime...You'll Have To Get Someone To Take A Snap Of You, As You Gallop By!!

    Exited For Your Lesson!
    Happy Spring!
    KK

    ReplyDelete
  7. KK - yes, she had perfect form in that picture, didn't she? And, I saw the photographer as we came around the corner to that line and actually SMILED, did my best crest release, etc. So, it has always been one of my favorites, because we both look good :)

    I'm not sure I can get a pic on a set, plus I guarantee it would be while I am trying to correct one of the ones I'm ponying, LOL. But I do need to remember to take photos of the horses, especially my favorites.

    Lisa - thanks! I'm very happy with all of them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I still have December's hair and seeing your keepsakes I think maybe I'm ready to do something with it. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Wordless Wednesday: Sunset jump lesson