Monday, July 25, 2011

A quick update

There was little change in the general appearance of the left hind - it is still quite swollen and very warm, even after cold-hosing. The swelling seems to begin a couple of inches below the hock and extends downward. She is not walking any better.


However...her demeanor had changed considerably. While still a bit duller than I would have liked, she was alert and interested in both me and my mother (I brought her with me for a second opinion I didn't have to pay for) and the doritos we smuggled for her. Her eyes did not have that same cloudy, pained look to them that had me so incredibly upset last weekend.


Based solely on the change in attitude, my mother's opinion was to not give up on her quite yet. She agreed the state of her legs is definitely not good but that attitude is a good indicator of quality of life - and level of pain.


So. Euthanasia is still on the table. BUT. 


My last push to see if there is anything I can treat for to prolong quality of life is going to be to do a blood panel looking for Cushing's Disease. It has been in the back of my mind for a while that she is showing some signs of early onset of CD. She doesn't by any means have all of the symptoms, but many don't. The symptoms I've noticed include (obviously) slow healing in addition to loss of topline while maintaining a "pot belly" and although her coat is not overly thick and is definitely NOT curly or wavy, she IS shedding a LOT - like an abnormal amount, especially considering the heat - and has been for some time now. In addition, she has always been a heavy drinker (and therefore a heavy urinator) - which could be coincidence, since it's a trait she's always had.


I am going to make it clear to the vet that I'm at the end of my rope here. I do not want to ultrasound or x-ray, but will have him give me his evaluation of the left hind in terms of best theory from what he sees and feels -- but I have a gut feeling that she's blown a tendon or something, in which case, there truly is only one option.

3 comments:

  1. Could it be something like Lyme? That can cause generalized pain and swelling, often affecting the whole body and all the legs - there's a blood test for it. At her age Cushing's is a real possibility, and worth testing for. With the heat and swelling, could there be an infection or something like cellulitis?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear she has perked up a bit. That must warm your heart. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate, yes it could be lyme, but doubtful. The ticks here don't carry lyme the way ticks up north do - few and far between from everything I've read. (Thank god, because they LOVE our dog.)

    Vet said he prefers to treat for Cushings for 60 to 90 days and see if there is improvement, because the blood test is notoriously inaccurate. I haven't heard back from him yet (he's on paternity leave for a few weeks apparently) and if i don't hear from him by lunch time today, I will call his partner.

    I asked for a broad spectrum antibiotic in addition to the Pergolide. Based on what I read (because I've never seen it before), I think cellulitis is a good possibility for the left hind and even if it isn't that, she could certainly benefit from another round of antibiotics. It definitely can't HURT her to be on them. Thanks for that suggestion.

    I stressed on the phone and in the email I sent him after doing pricing research on the Pergolide that this is my last effort at restoring quality of life. I was hoping that would instill a sense of urgency, lol.

    Lisa, I can't deny being relieved to see her a bit perkier. But it's kind of a double-edged sword. If this last push doesn't work...well, I'm back to square one again. :(

    ReplyDelete

Wordless Wednesday: Sunset jump lesson